Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:45 pm   

#GAG alternative?

I'm making much progress on my experience script for DragonRealms. Right now, I'm simply annoyed at how it gags when it collects data. Because it's multiple lines, a bunch of stuff being gagged, it tends to make my entire game window jump up and down, with the bottom like flashing bits right before they're gagged.

Question is, is there a way to have the beginning line trigger something so that all output is either gagged and parsed, or redirected to another window for parsing, with the last line disabling the trigger?

I want:
quote:
Circle: 11
Showing only skills with field experience.
To see all your skills, type EXP ALL

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning
Light Chain: 20 72% learning [tab] Parry Ability: 40 76% learning
Multi Opponent: 38 62% perplexed [tab] Heavy Edged: 38 79% concentrating
Evasion: 31 17% bewildering [tab] Climbing: 17 90% thoughtful
Skinning: 17 08% pondering

Time Development Points: 81 Favors: 5 Deaths: 3
Overall state of mind: fluid

to be completely gagged, but collect the data along the way. Currently, the data collection triggers gag the exp lines, with a couple more gags to take care of the rest.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:50 pm   

Since you didn't state what you want to do the with the data; I will put some rudimentary parsing in and send it to another window...

#TR "SkillCap" {^Circle: %d$} {#CAP SkillList;#GAGON}
#COND {} {#IF (%pos(":",%line) {#CAP SkillList;#IF (%begins(%line,"Overall state of mind")) {#GAGOFF;#STATE SkillCap 0}}} "" {looplines|param=99}

Assuming I didn't make any mistakes that should work. I didn't test it however.
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:07 am   

Actually, I just completely missed the fact that the #GAGON and #GAGOFF commands exist. How the data's being parsed is working well, putting the bits into a database.

Unfortunately, this technique is not solving my issue of the screen jumping up. Although the commands should never reach the screen in the first place, they do for a brief moment, causing the screen to jump.

Is there a way to prevent the text from ever reaching the screen in the first place, yet still parse the data?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:32 am   

quote:

Actually, I just completely missed the fact that the #GAGON and #GAGOFF commands exist. How the data's being parsed is working well, putting the bits into a database.

Unfortunately, this technique is not solving my issue of the screen jumping up. Although the commands should never reach the screen in the first place, they do for a brief moment, causing the screen to jump.

Is there a way to prevent the text from ever reaching the screen in the first place, yet still parse the data?

Not within ZMud's native script language. You could write up a plugin and do your parsing there, though. That would prevent the screen jumping because the text would already be parsed.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
dime
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:54 pm   

back when i was writing a script, i had to gag a handful of lines and it caused a bit of lag... and that screen jumping thing.. annoyed me, really..

try using #SUB ""

if your triggers only trigger on part of the line, add a * to the front and back of the trigger to get the whole thing..
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:42 pm   

I discovered that the #MAKEWINDOW command has a redirect option, and I've been trying to see how I can get it to work. It's doing a perfect job of not making my main window jump. The problem I'm encountering with it is that because it's using a different window, I have to set up all the triggers to parse it in a seperate settings panel, which is a minor inconvenience. The bigger problem is that I have to open the database from that window, and it's causing problems because I can't seem to get the database working properly in the redirect window and also the main window.

Can someone direct me to any documentation on how to handle multiple windows like this, or explain to me how to solve this problem?
geniusclown
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:30 pm   

Bumping for Kjata to answer, since Kjata is online now, and is "da bomb"
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:06 pm   

You can check out the Introduction to Multiplaying topic under Getting Started. Specifically, read in here about the Focus Character (: by default) which allows you to send commands to other windows.

Kjata
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: