Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Hansonex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:06 am   

Problem: Map Importing

Just wondering if there was any way to import maps from another file. I don't use Zmud or any of that. I simply use Zmapper to draw maps from a MUD I play. I have various maps (.mdb) I've drawn, and some of them tie in together. Is there any way I can combine them? Tried using the zone importing, didn't work. I'm not even sure I'm going the right route with this. Any help/ideas?
bkarasek
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:22 pm   

Same problem! I make maps manually, but now that I have a few separate files I want to store them all in one database as different zones. Help!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:15 am   

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. What kind of "other files" are you wanting to import? zMapper already has a fairly extensive Import feature that you can try.

If you are asking about merging multiple MDB files into a single MDB file (with each previous database as a new zone), that isn't supported yet, although using the export and import features you might already be able to do it manually.

Hansonex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:06 am   

You guessed it. Sorry I didn't clarify. I've tried a few things using the Import function, to no avail so far. Guess I'll just have to wait and hope for the feature to come later. Thanks.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:15 pm   

The trick with importing is getting all of the tables that you need. The Rooms are stored in the ObjectTbl and the exits between rooms are stored in the ExitTbl. The Import function can only import a single table at a time. But if you export the rooms and exits into two different files, then you might be able to import them.

The complicated part is ensuring that the room links in the exit table are maintained. For example, if you have two separate map databases, then you probably have duplicate room IDs. The records in the exit table use the room ID values to connect rooms. So, before importing the files you might need to go through and manually renumber all of the rooms and exits.

At some time in the future there will be a way to merge map files or to export an "area" to a single file and then import an "area". But this is probably several months away at this point since my focus right now is setting up a way to share maps over the internet.

Andromeda
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:34 pm   

Let me add my vote for the ability to export and import zones, either singly or in groups.

The need for this comes from a desire to work collaboratively in building the map database. I am hoping to map Dragonrealms. A long time ago it had about 20,000 rooms. It has grown substantially since then.

The only way I can see to accomplish that is to have users contribute updated zones and new zones as they play in those areas.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:44 pm   

Take a look at the ZoneCopy utility that is in the "Finished zMUD Scripts" Forum. I think it was Charbal who wrote/posted it. It allows you to copy zones from one MDB file to another already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: