Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
HK

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:19 pm   

v6.62 Crash - "Chars: Record not found."

I just upgraded my zMud 6.40 to version 6.61, installing over my previous version of zMud. The first time i tried to run it, I got error message "Chars: Record not found." and the program hanged, still showing the startup dialog 'Loading zMud modules, Name: main module, status: initializing"

I tried upgrading to 6.62, getting the same result.

Anyone have an idea why this might happen? It'd be an easy guess to assume I'm having trouble because of a corrupt settings file. Is this a common problem?

And _please_ nobody tell me re-installing windows would do the trick ;)
(OK... I'm asking for it, aren't I?)

BTW: Version 6.40 worked just perfectly - I think I must have had about _one_ crash altogether while using that version. Will probably go back to that one soon.
HK

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:40 pm   

Problem solved:

Apparently installing 6.6x in a folder with the previous version is simply a *%&#/¤#ing bad idea. Propably stupid of me to think that would have been a good way to keep them settings files. The right way for that seems to be the good old fashioned "backup and transfer manually."

I hope there will one day be zMud v.6.xx, which automagically updates itself without messing up any settings. Meanwhile this one will do just fine. Couldn't be without.

And didn't even need to re-install my WinXP =)
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:59 pm   

Yeah, zMUD must really suck when a few people out of many thousands get an error when upgrading to a newer version.

Seriously now, you can't come to any conclusions based on your experience alone. I guess that is too much to ask, but it's just common sense. I for one upgraded without any problems as well as many many many others.

What happened to you was that the character database file got an invalid entry in it. Sometimes this is fixed by deleting the zmud.ini file, sometimes you have to edit the chardb.mdb file manually. At the worst case, you can always delete this file and recreate the characters, since the settings (.mud files) are not lost. Anyway, although this happens from time to time, it's not as if everyone that upgrades to a newer version over an older one will get this problem.

Kjata
HK

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:14 pm   

Don't worry, I still love my zMud. Any and all irony supposed to be included in my earlier post apparently took a wrong turn somewhere across the atlantic and was not delivered as meant.

Actually the problem was duplicated on my friends PC, upgrading from 6.40 to 6.61 as well. Would be an unlikely coincidence is we were the only ones. Can't really figure out what there is in common in our systems that might be quilty to the crash. I'll just have to hope the problem is more common than you supposed so that it'll be found and fixed in another version and I'll someday get my automagical zMud. =)

... Ok. That's it. Reinstalling WinXP now...
Rowene
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:30 pm   

ok this happened to me as well.

A post was on the board wbout a week ago on how to solve this. From what I remember, copy your chardb.mdb(?) to another directory and delete both chardb files.

Open up ZMud normally and you will be prompted about starting a new database, click yes and then quit.

Copy your chardb.mdb file back into the correct directory and it should work.

This is all I can remember, I suggest you look back through the posts and find the full/correct version of this post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: