Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

MappyR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:33 pm   

Turning off link labels

zMapper automatically creates link labels when moving accross zone. I would like to turn this feature off but the instructions are not clear. "To turn off this label, select the Link properties and turn off the Display Link option." WHAT DISPLAY LINK OPTION?

A confused half-elf ranger on Ancient Anguish
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:18 pm   

Go to the Palette tab and select the Exit list. Select the normal exit and right-click and select properties. In one of the tabs for that exit type, you'll see an option about displaying link labels.

MappyR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:48 am   

I must be a complete idiot or totally blind or we are speaking of different versions. What Palette tab? I am using zMud version 6.4 with zMapper 1.15 Beta. The tabs I see on zMud are: Chars, Settings, Classes, Aliases, Variables, Paths, Triggers, Macros, Buttons, Prefs, Map, and DB. The tabs I see on zMapper are: File, Edit, View, Zone, Actions, Config, and Help. When you say Palette tab do you mean the drawing area? When I right click on a room there, I do see another set of tabs: Text, Contents, Exits, Appearances, and Other. If I select the Exits tab and highlight a link (To,Dir,DirTo,Comand) I see three command buttons: Normal, One-Way, and Door. Three check boxes: Draw Link, Null Link, and Door Locked. Three text boxes: Other Com, Link Label, Door Name. A drop down list box that offers three choices: Normal Exit, Door, and Locked Door. And finally ther are two spinner boxes for offset, I think, I must have tried every combinations of these controls that is possible to no avail. The link that has the label "to Zone whatever" automatically printed in my drawing area has the following settings: Command Button: Normal. Check Box: Draw Link Checked. Text boxes all blank. Drop down combo box Normal Exit. Spinmer boxes both at 0. Specifically how do I get rid of the the unwanted ''to Zone whatever" label? This automatic feature might be nice some of the time is there is just a single exit and label but becomes an absolute mess if all four exits(N,S,E,W) and go to the same point. I don't need four labels, I would perfer to change the room color and use the mouseover feature. How do you get rid of the labels? This one aspect of zMapper is neither user friendly nor intuitive and I develop databases and user interfaces for a living.

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:33 pm   

First, we are talking about zMapper here, not zMUD. You must open your map into zMapper and modify it there. Once modified, then the change should show up later when you load the map into zMUD.

OK, in zMapper, to the left of the map is a panel with tabs in it called "Nearby, Zones, Palette". If that panel isn't visible, click the blue arrow button to the left of the "File" menu (the File/Edit/View/etc along the top is called a "menu", not a "tab").

When you have this panel visible, click the Palette tab. Those things called "Nearby", "Zones", "Palette" are called tabs because they are supposed to look like the tabs of a notebook. This is a general terminology of using graphical programs, not just in Windows, but in other graphical operating systems, that you just need to get used to.

So, click on the Palette tab. Now, just above the list of items in your palette is a pulldown menu that current says "Rooms". Click this menu and select "Exits". Now you will see a list of all exit types in your palette. Right click on "Normal Exit" and select Properties.

Now click the "Options" tab and turn off the "Zone Label" option.

Sorry if this isn't intuitive for you. Keep in mind that zMapper is BETA software and when I'm working on Beta versions, I'm concentrating more on making the program work rather than writing documentation.

MappyR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:41 pm   

Thank you thank you thank you. This solve a lot of frustration for me I see where I was making my mistake as I was trying to configure it as a plug-in rather than a stand alone product. Sorry to have been such a pain. I am impressed and please with the product. I have notice that every once in a while, while speed walking, zMapper sort of gets lost in that in starts drawing rooms on top of existing rooms. Unfortunately I cannot not pinpoint why and when this is happening. There is to solutions but I am now leaning toward the second of these solutions. The first is to go back and merge rooms from the edit menus. The second solution and the one I tend to favor at the moment is to delete the "stacked" rooms. Find out where I really am manually by know landmarks. Set my current position to my newly found location then manually move back to the point where I started speedwalking and screwed up then walking back manually and finally speedwalking between the two locations as a test. Keep up the good work. It is a great product.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: