Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
jjww

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:55 pm   

who can teach me how to use dde

I wanna use zmud to insert a var into a excel file(such as put abc in test.xsl A1 field).who can tell me how to do it.thanx a lot.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:37 am   

For that you do not want to use DDE. You need to use COM. The first step is to find the documentation for the Excel COM interface on Microsoft's website. After that you will be using the #CALL and #COM commands; and the %comcreate, %comset, and maybe %comget functions. Read the help file for usage on those and if you can't figure it out post again.
jjww

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:40 am   

It is so complicated,I find that when i use
#dde %ddepoke(Excel,TEST.XLS,R1C1,@tank) i can open test.xls with Excel,but i cant insert @tank in R1C1.Can u tell me the reason?Thanks
mercatroid
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:54 am   

I'm using zMUD 7.21 on WinXP.

I tried the following as well:
Code:
#dde %ddepoke(Excel,"TEST.XLS","R1C1",@tank)
It doesn't even open the .xls file for me, much less write the variable. I made sure the test.xls file existed. The above code was copied/pasted directly from the online documentation (link here)...the zMud documentation is slighty different:
Code:
#NOOP %ddepoke(Excel,’TEST.XLS’,’R1C1’,@tank)
Neither works.

I went hunting around the Microsoft Knowledge base (and pretty much everywhere else) for the "Excel COM interface" documentation that Vijilante referred to, but was unable to find it. Those who have braved the MS Knowledgebase before know it's a Lovecrafting nightmare.

I'd rather use the #call and #com commands, as I'm more familiar with them (and it seems to be preferred over #dde by members of this forum), but without the COM interop syntax for Excel, it doesn't seem likely.

For clarity, here's what I'm actually trying to do: I've got triggers that pull various values out of my MUD, and I'd like to store those values in an Excel spreadsheet. Then I need to be able to query them back out when needed. Ideally I'd also like the ability to sort the spreadsheet, count items by column, and any other neat functions you can think up.

Thx in advance.
Merc
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:20 pm   

This post may help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: