Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Namsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:47 am   

[1.06] Can not run 2 of the same session.

As per the title... If you try and start 2 of the same session, it drops out the connection on the first one.

Kind of annoying as it's nice to be able to make a "Generic" session and use that for all characters that don't have specific session's created for them.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:18 pm   

No, this isn't going to work. Loading two of the same sessions would mean that you would have two sessions each trying to write changes to the same package file. There would be all sorts of problems with this.

But remember that in CMUD you don't need to load multiple sessions. Just select the Host/Port you want to connect to from the Sessions pulldown menu that was added to 1.06. This will create a new window with another network connection. You no longer need to have a session icon for every connection.

Remember that in CMUD, a "Session" isn't just a network connection...it's a combination of network connection, packages, and screen layout.
Namsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:18 am   

I understnad there is more to a session than a link....

But in Zmud atleast, you could open as many of the same one as you liked.

E.g. I create a default "these are all the settings I like but non specific to any mud/character/etc" session, with the layout I want.

I can not use that same session more than once ? I have to have multiples of it you're sayin ?

Since in Cmud it doesn't load up the package into it's own memory space seperate from all the others of the same session... ?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:44 pm   

I think you are confusing packages and sessions. If you have a bunch of settings that are non-specific to a MUD, you should create a package and place the settings in there. Then add that package to the list of default packages loaded with new sessions.

If you have a layout that you want to use by default with new sessions, use the Save Layout option to create your own *.XLY file.

I'll see if I can make it easier to do what you want, but it's not going to involve loading the same session twice since there is no way to get around the data corruption that will occur with multiple sessions trying to write to the same files.
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:04 am   

bump. Same gripe as Namsar. Guess it's a 1.09 thing though

I used cmud with a mud I multiplay on today
In zmud I'd have a single .mud file with all the settings required, nicely arranged into different classes for various skills etc.
By default classes are turned off. When I create a new character I'd generally just have a trigger that enabled certain classes depending on the "Welcome Guinn/whoever" text.

As with Namsar, I liked the idea of having just one icon for the game, and being able to just doubleclick and run another session off the same .mud file. Sure, it tended to be whichever session was logged off last would save changes to the mud file, but that was fine.

Noticed today that I can't do that anymore and that instead it (irritatingly) disconnects and reconnects the current instance of that session. My suggestion would be to have a 'read only' way to connect to a mud - so you open a session based on a mud/pkg file and it'll just make a temporary copy of the pkg file that you can play on, and throws away changes at the end. It'd be a nice compromise anyway, since I don't care for the idea of having different character-specific settings in different packages. There are a number of characters that will share some but not all settings, so there's no simple heirarchy to call on when loading packages.

So yes, ideally the first time you click an icon it loads normally, then every other time it connects to same mud, with same (read only) pkg file.

Might not be feasible, or I might've missed something obvious

Guinn
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: