Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Apharot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:22 pm   

connectivity loss during idle

Hello. THis happens with Zmud as well and I'm wondering if it's not an issue with my network, but I wanted to see if anyone else was having this issue. If I am idle for an extended time, I lose connection. Sometimes, if I come back right on the threshold, it will hesitate for several seconds, then flood the screen with data. It's almost like it starts blocking information after a set time period. Has anyone else experienced this? I searched for an answer, but didn't find one. That, however, may just mean I used the wrong words, or did not see it. Thanks in advance for any help.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:34 pm   

I have.
Sometimes I actually do get disconnected from the mud as well, but I get no indication till I try to send in a new command, the poof, the reconnect window pops up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:45 pm   

shalimar wrote:
I have.
Sometimes I actually do get disconnected from the mud as well, but I get no indication till I try to send in a new command, the poof, the reconnect window pops up.

Yes. Or if I'm gone too long it tries to autoreconnect.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:34 pm   

Quote:
but I get no indication till I try to send in a new command, the poof, the reconnect window pops up

This is what happens when a router somewhere between you and the MUD drops your connection. It doesn't send any disconnect message back to Windows until you actually try to use the socket. This is the kind of issue that Rainchild (and others) have mentioned and is why I plan to add support for the socket Keepalive stuff to a future version. You don't notice this kind of behavior with web browsers because web browsers create a new socket connection for each page. MUD clients, like CMUD and zMUD, require a *persistent* socket connection, which is less reliable.

As more and more of the Internet gets used for email and web browsing, and less for telnet and other persistent socket apps, more and more ISPs are tuning their routers to drop inactive sessions. Also, many "home routers" that you buy for sharing a broadband connection have built-in timeout parameters that are enabled by default.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:14 pm   

Zugg is 100% correct about the routers disconnecting after a timeout. My home broadband router disconnects me when I'm connected from somewhere else to a server at home. I get around it by setting up an alarm to do a carriage return every minute to keep me active, #ALARM *60 {#CR}
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:21 pm   

Is there a way to turn off this 'feature' in home routers?
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:39 pm   

I personally use a 90 second tick timer which sends 'backspace' to the MUD. I guess it depends on your host finding an unobtrusive command to send to it, some MUDs don't implement backspace correctly and it replaces it with a ^H which can make things a bit weird, however if the MUD does support backspace properly it's less obtrusive, you still have the connection alive but it doesn't spam you with a new prompt in the same way that a carriage return would.

#SENDP %char(8)

Will send a backspace.
Namsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:43 pm   

Personally I just send a save every 9 mins. But then again I'm paranoid and don't trust the auto save features of most muds :)
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:15 pm   

Quote:

Personally I just send a save every 9 mins. But then again I'm paranoid and don't trust the auto save features of most muds :)

I just use a return. One key to rule them all (or at least to reset the idle timers).

Saving isn't an issue for Simutronics, though. They back us up every hour, so even if the system fails they usually can get us close to the time of the crash.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:23 pm   

Shalimar: It depends upon the router. Every router manufacturer has it's own admin interface. You'd have to consult the router documentation, or just go into the admin interface (usually via a web browser) and poke around looking for anything related to timeouts, or idle.
Namsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:53 am   

Problem is you don't know if it's your router... or the next one down the line, or the next etc.

And you can't check them all.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:32 am   

no, but you can fix it on your own at least... i have a standard linksys... gonna have to look for the paperwork on it
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: