Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Namsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:23 am   

[1.06] Settings Refreshing.

Ok so I couldn't put the full title I wanted which was...

Settings in lower packages are not refreshed when saved, you have to reload the session before it will run with the new saved settings.

But that basically sums it up...

I know zmud has had this problem and cmud too as well so it's not really something that I think too many people have complained about.

Example:

Create a new session, then create a new package with 1 trigger in it.
Close the session and add the package to it's list of files, restart the session.

Trigger works fine... Open up setting editor and change the trigger...

Trigger still works in it's original form after saving. You have to close the session and reopen it to run with the new saved trigger in the inherited package.

As I said minor thing, but rather frustrating when trying to develop things neatly... Just means you have to make everything in your session package then shift it to another package later.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:34 am   

Settings in lower packages are not refreshed when saved, you have to reload the session before it will run with the new saved settings.

Noticed this as well. Even after unpublishing and republishing you have to close and reopen
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:01 pm   

I cannot reproduce this.

First, be sure that any module in a different package has the "Published" option checked. Only settings within Published modules are visible outside of the package.

Here are the exact steps I used to test this:

1) New Session. (named Test). Open Offline
2) Go to settings editor. File/New Package. Enter name "External"
3) Select the External module and click the Published option
4) Select New/Trigger and created a trigger.
Pattern: test
Value: hello world
5) Closed the settings editor. Typed "test" on command line. Responded with "hello world".
6) Exit CMUD
7) Start CMUD again. Select Test session, click Edit Session
8) Go to Files tab. Click the + button. Add the External.Pkg file that was created before
9) Click the Open Offline option
10) Type "test" on command line. Responds with "hello world".
11) Click the Triggers button. Change the trigger value to "hello new world".
12) Close settings editor
13) Type "test" on command line. Responds with "hello new world"

So, this seems to be working just fine. But this is the kind of step-by-step detail I need to find and fix the problem. Remember that there are lots of ways to do stuff in CMUD. So, when you say "create a new package", or "create a trigger", I need to know *exactly* how you did it.
Namsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:13 pm   

No problem I'll give you a step by step later on today when I get a chance to reproduce it.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:58 am   

yeah but why do i have to reconnect the session to get a trigger to fire off that i create in a published package. Did it not used to take effect immediately. This is what im noticing isnt working right.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:08 pm   

Right, and that's what I can't reproduce either. Notice in step 5 that I immediately tested the trigger that I just created and it worked fine. Yes, it is supposed to take effect immediately and from my testing, it does. So that's why I need the step by step method that you are using that isn't working.
Namsar
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:00 pm   

Ok Zugg, I followed your steps exactly, and number 5 does not work.

Doing exactly as you have listed there, when I close the settings editor and type in test, I get no trigger fireing at all.

Infact I don't know what the hell it's doing, looking at it, I have a published package with just 1 trigger in it (test) and it's not fireing no matter what I do, exiting cmud/testing online/etc etc.

Something weird.

I'll edit this as I work out more.

Ok ignore the above, had to #SHOW test to get it to fire *doh*.

Ok following your steps it works fine, yes. Infact I can't seem to get it to break with the way you're testing it. My files however don't act this way.

And in trying to test my files now I think I've found another different problem :( For some reason my published package is hidden, I can't even see it to edit it.... This is frustrating! (*posted as a seperate problem*)
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:54 am   

and is mentioned in another thread :) ... Chances are you added it to your package which removes it from the drop down edit list ><

And i still have weird issues with triggers being readily available until i can reconnect.. i will post what i was working with but it was a simple

#TRIGGER {The door is closed.} {open door} trigger entered from the command line
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:26 pm   

Namsar: if it doesn't work with one of your files, then sent me the files along with the exact steps you are using to reproduce it.

Edb6377: I cannot reproduce any problem with your example either. Remember that we are talking about something that is hard to reproduce here. Please most a more complete step-by-step example just like I did. I typed:

#TRIGGER {The door is closed.} {open door}

and then

#SHOW "The door is closed."

on the command line while the settings editor was open and it worked fine for me without needing to reconnect.

And if even I don't know what you are referring to by the "removes it from the drop down edit list", then I don't know how others will understand it. I have no idea what "drop down edit list" you are talking about, so please be more specific.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:51 am   

did you try it IN a mud. As i said i work 8am to 11pm atm. So i will post a step by step when i have time.

#SHOW worked but the same mud text didnt. As soon as i reconnected the session it took off no problem
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:21 am   

Quote:
#SHOW worked but the same mud text didnt

That's really odd because #SHOW injects the text into the network input stream so that it gets treated the same as MUD input.

But I'll try this online and see what I can find.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:44 am   

OK, first there seems to have been a problem with the File/New Package not working correctly in 1.06. It worked back when I tested it originally, but some change towards the end of the bug fixing caused it to break. I've got it working again in v1.07.

Because of this bug, new packages are completely screwed up in 1.06 until you reload. So that probably explains the problems. With the fixes in 1.07 I can create a new package and triggers that are created work immediately with no reloading. The new package is also automatically added to the load list for the session automatically. So I think 1.07 might finally work the way people expect.

Sorry for all the problems. I should have 1.07 out later tonight.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:22 pm   

gotta love those weird bugs that pop out of no where ><

lol glad you found something.. I feel better now :)

as usually zugg is hard at work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: