Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:24 am   

package library question

Is there support for private-area package storage and sharing yet, by any chance?
Vodoc
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:55 am   

I talked with Zugg about this earlier and you should get something once the public package system has been properly tested. That is when we have a protocol that works and is stable.

This was a while ago though and I'm still not quite sober so I might just be talking out of my arse, you must of course wait until after the holiday to get an official response from the man himself.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:38 am   

well with the change to "Modules" Vs Windows Vs Packages etc things have changed a bit it seems. I havent had enough time to post him an real in depth post as of yet. However the changes he made are great but i dont think they were whats expected.

i.e. exporting and importing a MODULE creates a window and a module. Packages arent Packages now and as such you cant add them directly without creating a package and adding it to it. Modules are different as well.

Realistically i think i will wait till zugg posts a bit more information on it but something still doesnt fit right. I just cant get my finger on it directly to properly describe it.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:50 am   use of packages/modules

Well, that's the most confusing answer ever, hehe. But ya, I understand we just have to wait for Zugg.

I'm only asking because I'd like to begin a project creating a team combat module/package for myself and a few friends - something Zugg stated would be a good use for the package library. Naturally, it wouldn't be stable until cmud gets a bit more stable with later releases, but I figure that using the packages like this would be a good test for cmud itself.

Rather than trying to import my old curing and combat system from zmud, I've also begun to write a new one from scratch, but to be honest, I'm finding the new settings editor layout pretty confusing. The concept of packages/modules is a little alien and i havn't managed to get my head around it properly.

In zmud, as an example..

Quote:
Class structure:
(this contains the mechanics of my autocurer)
CuringSystem
CuringSystem|Afflictions
CuringSystem|AfflictionTypes
CuringSystem|Cureaff
etc etc

(this contains the actual triggers for incoming afflictions, arranged into folders for each class and skillset)
Curing
Curing|Monks
Curing|Monks|Telepathy
Curing|Monks|Tekura
Curing|Monks|Breaks
Curing|Monks|Kaido

Curing|Vampires
Curing|Vampires|Mentis
Curing|Vampires|Bloodborn
etc etc

(this contains my aliases and macros for combat related stuff)
Offence
Offence|Ferality
Offence|Lycanthropy
Offence|Howling
Offence|BattleMacros
Offence|Tattoos
Offence|Enchantments
etc etc

Inventory
Inventory|Herbs
Inventory|Vials
etc etc

General
General|Communication
General|Communication|Clans
General|Communication|Learning
General|Communication|ChannelCaps
General|Navigation
General|Navigation|Walking
General|Navigation|Mapping
General|Navigation|Locations
etc etc

I use a class structure something like that (there is a lot more to it). When writing my new one into CMUD I will be keeping everything as well (preferably even better) organised as my old system. What I am confused about though, is how modular I should make it, with the packages. I can put the whole thing into the one module/package, or I could separate it in many packages. Some of the packages are obvious (such as having my 'CuringSystem' section as a separate package.

Aside from the ease of sharing settings though, is there any other reason to divide stuff into packages? This is something I don't understand, and kind of need to before I put too much effort into my project.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:19 am   

well one reason i have been splitting them up is simply because i can add remove that "Module" from cmud at will. Some of my characters wont use a "Druid Spell" module this allows me to build a custom session for my character. Or if i make a mistake in a package/module then i can simply remove it from being started until i can fix it.

There are lots of reasons to divide them. Create a BASE package for what you want to do and then "Addon Packages" thats another option.
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:14 pm   

I, too, would like to see the option to share the packages with only certain people, but it'll most likely have to be linked to their forum accounts, meaning they'll have to sign up if they haven't already.

My other big question/request is to see packages with dependencies. I want to have a base system package and then several add-ins that rely on features of that package, mostly aliases and variables. If someone installs an add-in without the base (dependency), it just won't work properly for them. Building fully self-contained packages may not always be an option or maybe just not preferable, which is why I'd like to be able to specify package dependencies.
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:38 pm   

Both those features will be available in the future. Once the package system is stable, Zugg has said that he will allow people to upload packages to their own private space, where only people with access, such as friends or clan members can access them. Of course, my guess is that Gurus/Package Moderators will still be able to see the packages, so that no one uploads anything malicious.

As for package dependencies, that was one of my original requests once packages were announced. Zugg has said that he will add this soon, so that you are able to specify what other packages need to be installed for a specific package.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: