Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2
Zugg Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:40 pm
What would people like for v1.02?

What would people like to see with CMUD v1.02?
Fix critical issues and release 1.02 sooner (this week)
78%
 78%  [ 45 ]
Fix as many bugs as possible, waiting a couple more weeks for a release
21%
 21%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 57

bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:23 pm   

All you newcomers:

This is beta software. It us supposed to be unstable! If you don't want deal with flaky software, missing features, and disappearing settings, then don't freaking use beta software! SHEESH!

The rest of us beta testers do not have any patience for silly people that do not want to follow the beta rules of software. We would rather you stop using this software until the public release. If you do want to contributed, I suggest you follow the lead of the experience beta testers. The easiest way to tell who these are is by the number of posts they have made. I noticed that people with more than 50 posts, have a better grasp of what's going on here. Twisted Evil
jenca1872

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:43 pm   

I realize based on the vote results posted, that I'm in a minority, when it comes to delaying the next release, but I will still stand by my opinions on the matter that I posted before about holding off and fixing as much as possible with a slightly longer release time frame. which would increase stability instead of rushing things and risking creating bugs that might have been avoided with more time.

I don't believe that the number of posts is an accurate way to judge the value of an opinion posted, since I have never heard Zugg state that he only wants input from people who have 50+ posts.

I feel Zugg has done an awesome job with what he's done so far with Cmud, and knowing how things progressed with Zmud, I know that Cmud has a lot of potential to maintain his reputation for quality software, if not exceed this. I love what I've seen so far even with all the bugs which I do fully expect from a beta version. I just feel that it would be more productive to take a little longer for the next release and stabilize it a little more while correcting current problems and go from there.

So, please rather then wast time trying to discredit my opinion why don't you go do what you seem to think myself and most likely others aren't doing and look for bugs. If Zugg wants to question my credibility regarding my opinion great, but I don't feel that I should be discredited by someone who doesn't know what I've been doing in regards to testing is really all that justified.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:58 pm   

I voted for the early release of 1.02 with only the most major bugs fixed because it's easy enough for anyone who wants a more stable release to simply skip 1.02 and wait for 1.03. You'll get your more stable version and the delay is sure to be similar to waiting for a more bug-free 1.02. I see this as the win-win option. It gets improvements out to those of us who really want to test more and doesn't detract from anyone who is willing to wait for the further improvements in the release after this one.
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:04 pm   

jenca1872 wrote:
So, please rather then wast time trying to discredit my opinion why don't you go do what you seem to think myself and most likely others aren't doing and look for bugs.

I think that retort made above yours about buggy software and the 50+ post thing was directed more at someone who posted before you who couldn't find anything better to comment on other than wondering when a more stable version would be available.

Your opinion is valued, as you actually state something worth reading.

I think one of the reasons many of the old-timers (and myself) would prefer the major bug fixes released quickly is that with them being as major as they are they may be indirect causes of other bugs that have come up. Yes, it may introduce others, but those could've just been hidden by the major ones. I think that many feel that if the major bugs were fixed it would allow better testing of features that are unusable at the moment and therefore no one is able to see if those items are working correctly.
Jerran
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:25 pm   

I'm more inclined to agree with Jenca. Concentrating only on the major bugs to get the next beta out faster smells a bit too much like Microsquish for my taste. They rush products to market so that they can get more profits on them (and yes, I know this isn't what Zugg is doing...), resulting, often as not, in final release software that is so buggy it should still be in alpha testing. So all things considered, I'd prefer he got as many known issues settled as he can before the next release
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:41 pm   

I think Dumas is correct...I don't think bortaS was responding to jenca1872's post. Except for being a bit difficult to read without any line breaks, I found jenca1872's comments to be quite good.

But I think Larkin has this right on...it's not like doing 1.02 is going to really delay 1.03. Unlike back in the zMUD days, doing a release in CMUD isn't a big deal. I have an automatted script that can create a release in just a few minutes. So people who'd rather wait another couple of weeks for more bug fixes can just wait for 1.03 and ignore the 1.02 release. But people that are dying to help test something that fixes the major issues from 1.01 will be really happy to see 1.02 as soon as possible.

Edited: In fact, now that I think about it, it was probably silly to post this poll since releasing 1.02 seems like a pretty obvious decision now.

Jerran, this doesn't lead to a worse product and it's nothing like what MS does. In fact, doing a 1.02 release will make things *better* in the long run because I'll be getting more higher-quality bug reports during the next few weeks. Right now I'm mostly not getting any new crash dumps that are useful because they are just reproducing the same major bugs over and over. So any smaller bugs are getting overlooked. With a 1.02 version that fixes the major issues, then I can start getting useful crash dumps that will help me fix more bugs in 1.03.
Jerran
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:59 pm   

Well, there is that, I suppose. And no matter how cynical I get, even -I- can't convince myself that your software is as bad shape as MS. :D But it's still hard to avoid the knee-jerk cringe inspired by MS. Razz
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:52 pm   

This isn't what Zugg is doing, but not because he wants more profits from CMUD. It's because it's technically not released. Microsoft isn't the only company (by far) that releases software as alpha or beta and has plenty of things to fix yet. It's a standard in the software industry that a company gets as far as they think they can on their own and then recruits their users to help them find all the things they've missed. We use the software in ways they perhaps didn't foresee, which is exactly what they want to learn. If Zugg fixes the big things and releases sooner, the beta testing will proceed faster than if we all sit and wait for more fixes before the next version. It's beneficial to both us and Zugg, in my opinion.
betrayedslinky
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:28 pm   

I agree with the point Larkin makes also and Zugg brought it up in his last post. The fixing of the big bugs does enable us to further test CMud and give feedback on the updated features plus we possibly find any new bugs that are created after the critical update. The beta process will go much faster this way and the 1.03 update might be even more stable because of this than if it was the 1.02 update. But since Zugg said that the 1.03 won't be delayed because of releasing the 1.02, it makes no difference to the people who want the stable version, only to us who want the critical updates.
So I think we can come to the conclusion that, first, it's a beta and it's supposed to be unstabe, second, if you want a more stable version just wait for the 1.03 version, and third, ummm, Zugg's software isn't like microsofts :)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:51 pm   

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread since I released 1.02 today Very Happy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: