Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Zugg's Blog Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Zugg Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:28 am
CMUD Status Blog
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:34 am   

Hehe I think we almost burned Zugg out with this release, I hope he's got a nice vacation spot in mind to regenerate :)

Two weeks gives us some momentum of reports anyway, rather than have him twiddling thumbs waiting for enough fixes to justify releasing a new version.

So, happy CMUDding for those that are awake at 11am - I'm going to be asleep since 11am is like 3 or 4am my time, but as soon as I get into work you can be sure the first thing I do is install CMUD :)
DemonLlama
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:25 pm   

I find this amusing: "as soon as I get into work you can be sure the first thing I do is install CMUD" Not the least because I'm sitting here at work, playing what I call "the FedEx game". When I order something, I am pretty neurotic/compulsive about refreshing the tracking page, and here... I'm pretty much refresh the thread every 30 minutes at least. Also, it amused me because I'm doing this while I'm at work. Shhh, don't tell.

I'm a tiny bit undecided on if I want the upgrade price or the full-price, so... *shakes his finger sternly* If it lives up to the hype, you'll definitely be getting a full-price purchase out of me. I've been waiting for this day for YEARS, so it'll be pretty hard for you to fail to meet that mark, but I'm just trying to give my last little bit of "encouragement" ;)
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:27 pm   

DemonLlama, you can get these forums, including this page, to send you an e-mail when a new message is posted. But maybe you don't check your e-mail that often, or you don't want someone to see the e-mails. Wink
DemonLlama
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:59 pm   

I admitted to the neurosis/compulsive part of the behavior, right? Yeah, I know about the e-mails ;)
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:07 pm   

You think that's bad I've been refreshing the Zuggsoft page since 10:58 AM EST looking for CMUD, only to realize at 11:06 that the release is 11AM MST and 1PM EST.

Crying or Very sad
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:20 pm   

It's almost 1230AM Tuesday here in Korea, 2 and a half more hours of waiting!
fred255
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:39 pm   

Rainchild wrote:
So, happy CMUDding for those that are awake at 11am - I'm going to be asleep since 11am is like 3 or 4am my time, but as soon as I get into work you can be sure the first thing I do is install CMUD :)

Too bad for you, you missed oz beating japan :)
Yet it, must be a nice work you have for letting you tme with C/Zmudding !
Baram
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:51 pm   

My boss lets me use zMud from work... oh wait I'm the boss and work is my house... never mind... 2 hours left(1am already)
Chiara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:23 pm   

Quote:
I hope he's got a nice vacation spot in mind to regenerate :)

Yes, Home. Parts of it other than the office, which I don't think he's seen in 3 mos!

I mean, really, people spend big bucks to vacation in Colorado. Why leave? No one else has better weather.

Once I padlock the office door, it will be great!
Baram
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:13 pm   

This last 45 minutes is killing me!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:35 pm   

It's done...finally. At least the first version. There will be plenty of work ahead of me to improve CMUD and get it to a public release. I'm hoping for a public release this fall, but it's too early to start thinking about that.

If you want to see the official new CMUD product page, go to http://www.zuggsoft.com/cmud . I think it turned out pretty nice, but let me know what you think.

As I posted in the CMUD forum, I'm going to take a couple of weeks off now. Chiara is going to lock the office, so I won't be posting to this blog for a few weeks. In fact, I'll probably start a new topic now that this initial beta version is released. It's interesting to go back and read the this blog entry to see how far things have come in just a few weeks. Thanks to everyone here for your support and encouragement...I couldn't have done it without you.
Baram
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:37 pm   

Zugg, could you email me(joe@persistentrealms.com), or check the support when you get a chance please. I tried to purchase, but your form won't let me input my Korean address as it is on my card, so I can't purchase. And after trying to change it, it's not offering the discount anymore(not that I really care aobut the discount that much).
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:28 am   

Bah, talk about my sour luck. Not only did I not win powerball *mutter*, but my MUD is down!! So I have CMUD sitting there all sparkly looking but can't actually do anything! *pout*

Guess it means I have to do some work today instead *grumble*.
Chiara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:26 am   

Rainchild, you late adopter you!

Wink
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:51 am   

muhahahaha.. that'll teach ya to wait :P
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:58 pm   Welcome back Zugg

Hey Zugg,

I wanted to be the first to welcome you back from you vacation. We've all eagerly been anticipating your return. As you can see the boards of CMUD have been active, we've discussed quite a few quirks and requests and I'm sure there are copious amounts of bug reports. We can't wait for you to get started. Very Happy

Seriously though, I hope you and Chiara had a great vacation and that you are both well rested. Welcome back.

P.S. I can tell Chiara is a tough cookie. She really didn't let you back in the office. I kept hoping you'd sneak in a response or two (even though you deserved the break); so it was tough for us MU* fans. Three cheers for Chiara.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:11 pm   

Well, you might not like me so much once you've found out what I've done now.

We're not back.

It took most of the first week to get Zugg to actually STAY out of the office, even though he wasn't posting. There were lose ends to tie up, that 1.01 version, and some administrative things (like better health insurance!) that couldn't wait, so it was the weekend before he stoped starting every other sentence with "I think I need too...".

So, I have arbitrarily extended our vacation. When Zugg protested, I told him to figure up what kind of comp time you'd earn working 6 days a week, 12 hours a day for 4 mos and he slunk away.

The July 4th holiday weekend gave me a good excuse. We'll officially be back July 5.
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:28 pm   

Have a great time :) It will be a good step back, reflect and decompress cycle!
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:58 pm   

I'm not crazy about it... but I like the thought of new improved and rested Zugg more, so I'll live. Laughing barely.
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:43 am   

I'm thinking he'll need the extra rest, since he sort of had to go out on a bit of a sour note:

1)he discovered his new bug-reporter system wasn't up to snuff

2)users were sending crappy reports

3)lots of stuff broke that shouldn't have?
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:47 pm   

Welcome back Zugg, how was the holiday?
Chiara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:59 pm   

We had so much fun that it was only the abject terror of what the furry people would do when the cat food ran out that drove us back to work.

I am now formally in charge of scheduling regular vacations.

Be Afraid!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:41 pm   

Yes, we are back from vacation now. Chiara has unlocked the office so that I can use my computer. Seeing the hundreds of emails and crash dump reports that are waiting for me is a bit intimidating, and I'm sure it will take me several days to get caught up with email and forum posts.

I really appreciate everyone that continued to discuss problems with the CMUD beta (and possible work arounds) while I was gone. There is a ton of information in all of those forum posts that I need to read and respond to. I'll probably be resurrecting several posts that are a couple of weeks old to comment or get more information.

Before I actually went on vacation, I was able to fix our new helpdesk application which receives the automated crash reports so that it works a bit better. I've got hundreds of crash reports stored in this system. I can't respond personally to each crash report, but in some cases you'll probably get a response from me in the next couple of days if I need more information from you. Fortunately, the information contained in the crash reports should already be good enough to help me track down the bugs. Even if someone doesn't give a description of what caused the crash, I still get the dump of the application stack, including routine names and line numbers, that should help me find the problem in the source code. It's a lot better than just having the hex address of the crash location like with the generic Windows exception errors.

Vacation really helped restore my mental state. I feel much better now and ready to tackle all of the problems with CMUD. As Chiara mentioned, for the first few days I was still peeking at the forums and getting depressed. I really felt bad that so many things in CMUD were still broken. But as she mentioned, she finally kicked me out of the office and locked the doors to keep me from working.

During vacation, we stayed home. After all, lots of people pay lots of money to come to Colorado for summer vacation. We did a bunch of "touristy" things, such as the local Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, and took several hikes on some local trails in the mountains. We haven't been able to hike outside like this before we switched to our low-carb lifestyle and it was a really nice change! We also got caught up on summer movies (X3 was great, Cars was great, DaVinci code was good, even Over the Hedge was good. Still didn't see MI:3 yet). I played PS2 games, including Kingdom Hearts 2 and had fun relaxing with that. We both read more Terry Goodkind books and are almost finished (2 books left). We also had visits from Chiara's grandparents, and a good friend from New Mexico and did some other activities with friends that we hadn't interacted with for several months.

As usual, vacation time went very fast. It probably took a whole week into vacation before I stopped thinking and worrying about CMUD all of the time. I had a really hard time re-learning how to relax and do other stuff. And it will probably take me another week to get back into "work mode". But Chiara and I also discussed these past few months, and while we both realize that it was unavoidable and need to be done to get CMUD out so that we could afford to pay our bills, we both agreed that it's not something we want to repeat.

I'm going to try really hard to come up with a better long-term work strategy that keeps me from getting so burned out. Unlike the failure with zApp, CMUD is actually selling and it looks like my strategy to return to MUD clients and stay focused on that core customer base is going to work. So I should be able to return to the kind of work schedule that I had in the hey-day of zMUD (like back in 1999-2000). This means monthly updates and continuous improvement of CMUD, but without the crazy 10-hour days and 6-days a week that I've had recently (and also had last year with zApp).

As she mentioned, Chiara is now in charge of vacations and will let me know if I've been working too hard and need a day off. And I'll be going back to a more normal 40-hour work week.

I'm also going to mostly end this particular blog topic. It was a good topic to have in those last couple of weeks of CMUD development, and it was a good way to document this product release process. But posting every day got to be a bit much. So I'll go back to posting blog entries when I actually have something interesting to report. You don't want to read daily blog entries that just say stuff like "did forum and email support today", or "Chiara made me take today off". I'll still try to post the interesting technical stuff as I get into the CMUD bug fixing, but only when they are interesting. Mostly I'll be back to posting over in the regular CMUD forum.

Thanks for all of your support during the past few months. It's very motivating to see lots of people who are happy with the direction CMUD is going, even if there are still a lot of rough edges.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:30 pm   

Welcome back from your vacation. I have lots of posts to read :) you updated a bunch.

Look forward to good things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Zugg's Blog All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: