Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:15 pm   

Wow, the automatted crash system sure works

Yeah, I know some people are disappointed that there are so many bugs in CMUD. I TOLD YOU it was a 1.0 BETA version. What did you expect?

Given some of the poor bug reports that I'm getting, I'm starting to regret allowing this to be a public beta. But oh well, I'll live with it. At least I can just delete the crash reports where some people don't even bother to tell me what they were doing when they got it.

This has also been the first test of the new Help tracking system that I was going to buy (something called HelpSpot). But now that I've seen how it works "under fire" I am reconsidering my purchase. After vacation I'm going to need to evaluate FogBugZ a bit more. HelpSpot just isn't designed to track a large number of issues over a long time period.

It's a shame, because there is so much about HelpSpot that I like. But it's just not letting me organize all of these crash dumps that I'm getting. They all end up sitting in my "queue" making it hard for me to see new issues.

Anyway, at least I'm getting plenty of bug reports. I should be able to fix a lot of problems with the information that I'm getting. So keep them coming.

It's a bit depressing to look at all of the crash reports and to look at the forums right now. Again, I'm sorry it's not as useable as you might have hoped. It was working fine for me in my own testing, so this just goes to show you how different everyone's setup and MUD settings are, and how important beta testing is.
Kiasyn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:26 pm   

CMUD is still awesome though... loving the new docking system, trigger editor.. everything :D
Check out Talon, an easy IMC connection.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:37 pm   

If it will help, I'd be glad to send you my settings files and my collection of scripts for Achaea and/or Lusternia. You had requested this sort of stuff a while ago, and so I assumed they would be used to test for compatibility with CMUD. I know that's my main disappointment. You worked so hard on backwards compatibility with zMUD and that seems to be what works the least in this first beta version for the majority of us. So, if you want more test cases (and ones taken from the "real world" rather than a pre-determined and fixed test set), just let us know how and where to send them.

I hope you have a very restful and enjoyable vacation! I know what it's like to get burned out, especially on this computer stuff.
slicertool
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:38 pm   

I'm running into a similar problem with some of my users right now... the app works perfect on my computer, but breaks on everyone else's.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:40 pm   

heh, just re-name this the Alpha testing version! Waiting to get home so I can play with it on that computer.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:51 pm   

Quote:
You worked so hard on backwards compatibility with zMUD and that seems to be what works the least

That just goes to show you how hard the compatibility really is. Also, I was originally working harder on the compatibility, and then a bunch of people on the forum all said "don't worry so much about compatibility...CMUD is a new product". I guess I should have stayed with my gut feeling.

And actually, it's not as bad as it appears. It's the import of MUD files more than "compatibility". And that's something that should be pretty easy to work out. I'll admit that I only used the MUD files that were sent to me early in my testing of the settings editor, and didn't do as much testing with those towards the end. Obviously something that I did with the database in the past couple of weeks messed up the MUD file import routine and I didn't catch that in my testing. Lately almost all of my testing was with package files or other issues.

And Kaisyn, thanks very much for your post. You are one of the first people to actually say anything nice about it. I know that it's human nature to complain rather than praise, but I had hoped that along with telling me about bugs and problems that people would also tell me what parts of CMUD they *liked*. Otherwise it just makes me think like I just wasted the last nine months of my life. So thank you for still seeing the silver lining!
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:03 pm   

Zugg i dont think its that people dont see it. I know i have seen many things i like. Its wanting you to know whats wrong so it can get fixed and the features can be more usable. Im quite impressed with many things.

After fixing that MXP bug it made it so i could work with it. I am reporting anything i run into yet at the same time i am figuring out ways around problems to get things done.

You have done a wonderful job. As someone who writes software myself i know its never an easy task. Especially when rewriting something that has taken YEARS to get to the point it has.

I think what you will find the most is the problems people face are the ones before you get to enjoy features :P settings preferences installing a script to admire how fast it runs. I have just now after messing with it all day figured out a way to get around the problems. I just hope it saves them :P. Ive been afraid to close it.

Its a great product but it is beta :P And yes i would rather relearn how to do something than have it compatible because compatibility tends to breed more problems that writing it for what it was for. Or you have to change something down the line which causes more problems due to compatibility.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:45 pm   

I haven't actually gotten a chance to install it yet because I'm at work and I should be doing programming of my own instead of playing with Zugg's toy :P
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:10 am   

I haven't done tooo much yet... was at work all day. But I did install and the initial layout is smooth and rather intuitive. Hopefully i can dive right in tonight. I have to go to the gym and there are few things on my to do list.

But trust me Zugg you did a great job.
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:39 pm   

Speaking of compatibility, besides the &&, ||, and slight variable changes, I only had two real problems when importing All of my settings from Zmud7.21.

And those things error out when putting them back into Zmud!! I always have to edit them to get them right.

Quote:

Its a great product but it is beta :P And yes i would rather relearn how to do something than have it compatible because compatibility tends to breed more problems that writing it for what it was for. Or you have to change something down the line which causes more problems due to compatibility.

I always look forward to beta testing one of your mud clients. Yes there are gonna be bugs but there is also gonna be a better product!
Yamabushi
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:16 am   

If the automated crash sequence worked any better, you'd think it was planned Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: