Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:38 pm   

Re: Some preliminary Compiled script speed results

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=23301

Zugg wrote:

So, what you can see is that the time needed to compile the expression is similar to the zMUD parsing and execute time. It's important to realize that these two routines use completely different parsers.

Zugg wrote:

The resulting speed increase depends on how often the script is changed and executed. If the script isn't changed, then each time it runs it will be using the compiled code and will run 10 times faster. If the script changes each time and has to be recompiled each time, then it will be about the same as in zMUD. There will be a flag to disable compiling for individual scripts if that is needed, and CMUD also keeps track of which scripts can't be compiled (syntax errors, or syntax that the compiler can't deal with).

I wonder how many scripts I have that "don't" change. How do you define if a script has changed? Contains variables or?

Makes me think what kind of strategies I might need to convert large scripts to for things that "don't change" and for things that do "change".

Modular design where I'd make blocks of scripts that don't change into sub elements that can be conpiled for speed which are used in blocks that do change.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:04 am   

I accidentally posted to the zMUD forum, but I've moved the topic over to this forum now.

As far as a script "changing", what I mean is that you edit the code to actually change the script. Variables changing values are not a change to the script. Unless you are generating scripts on the fly and using #EXEC a lot, then your scripts probably are not changing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: