Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
razzer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:39 pm   

CMUD Upgrades

I'm not 100% sure if this was specified, but what will further upgrades after the first cost?

Let's say that I get a CMud Beta and get the new version, yada yada. My two years finish and a I need to purchase an upgrade. I purchase an upgrade. When the next upgrade rolls around, would I need to pay the same price for an upgrade or will I get upgrades for free for a certain period of time?
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:25 am   

I believe the way Zugg described it is that your initial purchase includes 2 years of upgrades. Each upgrade purchase entitles you to another 2 years. It has been a while since I read his original statement, and it may yet change somewhat. However, I am quite certain that it will be finalized and clearly stated in the licensing of the first beta released.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:44 pm   

Yep, Vijilante is correct. To upgrade, you will essentially be purchasing the right to any upgrades for the next 2 years. I still need to work out the official wording of all of this (too busy coding right now). But instead of thinking of buying an "upgrade" as a single product, think of it as buying an "upgrade support contract" which entitles you to any new versions during the period of the contract (2 years).

When you buy CMUD, you are really getting both the software and a 2-year upgrade contract. After the initial 2-year contract is expired you just need to renew the upgrade contract to get upgrades for an additional 2 years.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:29 pm   

You may want to bob along to www.ultraedit.com and have a look at their wording as they do the same thing as you want to do but yearly instead.
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:40 am   

www.treepad.com does the same as well,, but I've upgraded several times even after the time ran out. They have been very generous and I won't complain a bit if asked to pay for the next upgrade. It's been a great deal.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:24 am   

Yeah, actually a *lot* of software does this, which is why I decided to adopt this model. Most everyone else just uses 1-year instead of 2-years, but when I looked at how often new major versions were released (v4.x, 5.x, 6.x, etc) I decided that 2-years was probably better for CMUD. It's also pretty straight-foward to implement this kind of system in our existing store.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: