Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:02 pm   

CMUD Package library ideas

Many muds that have customizable prompts sometimes have a most used prompt list with the player author who submited it.

Depending on how much MXP/TAGS etc are used, a good library would be best customized coloring/skin for a MUD library.

MSP sound files would be another library of interest.

If you have the storage capacity maybe MUDs could advertise [some sort of package header] on their public package with their suggested basic script/nuissance scripts as well as other things.

Trying to think of ways to attract eyeballs to your CMUD.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:49 pm   

I'll give that some thought. I certainly have storage space, but extending the package library to allow "external" downloads like sound files will take some extra thought, and certainly isn't something that will be part of the first beta.
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:08 pm   

What kind of bandwidth do you have? Perhaps the better idea would be to use other servers for images which have niched that area.

As another thing that becomes popular is bragging rights in signature blocks.

Something akin to:
http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?name=XFire&file=profile&uname=xace135x

Or something that can update clan pages such as:
http://www.darkjedibrotherhood.org/dbjedi/dossier.asp?ID=43

Possible this could be a package which would take your mud stats, connect time etc and output it or create a various images which then could be made into a png for display.

It might need some minor basic graphic scripts though.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:19 pm   

Again, I probably won't do anything like that, at least not until the basic sharing service is working.

Keep in mind that CMUD only checks for package updates when you first load it (and this can be disabled), or when you specifically go into the package list and select "Check for updates". There are no graphics associated with a package. It's just a package name, author, version, last updated time, etc. Putting an image for packages would really slow down the download and update checking (I'm expecting a *lot* of packages to be in the database).

So, I can see someone creating a package that uploaded your MUD stats to some other server, but I don't plan to use the zuggsoft server itself to store that kind of information.

As far as bandwidth, I have a fair amount. We currently use about 100 GB per month, and that's mostly downloads. So I don't expect the shared scripts to impact this much, as long as I'm careful to control how often CMUD requests updates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: