Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mercatroid
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:00 pm   

Exp window

I'm trying to make a capture window for my mud's exp messages.
What I want to do is have the raw number for each kill subtracted from a known variable, and update each time, and sit in a child window off near the right-hand side of the screen

Here's an example of the relevant MUD output:

That will cost 6,128,035,328 experience.

You receive 169306 experience points.

Again, what I'm looking for is a floating capture window that displays the first line, then every time the 2nd line is recieved, it subtracts that amount from the first line, and displays the updated total.

Thanx in advance for any help.

-Merc
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:54 am   

Have a look at #status and #math
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:11 am   

See:
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5498&highlight=double+byte
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=20307&highlight=%23script+number

Very large numbers:
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7637&highlight=%23script+number
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=22440&highlight=%23mss+number
mercatroid
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:29 am   

I'm not really concerned with the commas in the first number. I can get around that via the methods you guys listed. I'm really trying to figure out how to output these to a floating (ie., undocked) window.

Thx

Merc
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:35 pm   

I think I'd use the status window instead of a full blown mud window. Having captured your variables you just have to use #stw @variable. In fact since it looks like you don't have a great deal to display you could use the status line just above the command prompt, #st @variable, this automatically updates itself as the value of variables change.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:57 pm   

Taz: That worked perfectly....thx!
mercatroid
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:03 pm   

Well, almost perfectly.....

I've got my mud prompt set up with the following information:

Current XP -number-

and a trigger like this:

#trigger {Current XP %1} {currentxp=%1}

This perfectly pulls my current xp and adds it to the variable @currentxp.

I then tried to make a second trigger like this:

#trigger {That will cost %1 experience.} {#math nexttrain (%1-@currentxp)}

This returns a value of zero regardless of the values of @currentxp and %1

I also tried:

#trigger {That will cost %1 experience.} {nexttrain=%eval %1-currentxp}

For example if %1 is 1000000000 and @currentxp is 200000000, I'm obviously expecting it to return 800000000.
It returns the string "1000000000-800000000" instead.

I'm sure this is just something incredibly simple that I'm missing.

Also, zMud seems not to be able to handle very large numbers...I followed the "very large numbers" links that TonDiening posted, but they don't help at all. Most of the numbers these expressions will be evaluateing will be in the hundreds of millions up to 10 billion or so.

thx
Merc
mercatroid
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:36 pm   

Okay, I fixed the large numbers problem by just making it a function. For some reason this works.

At least I think it does, it still won't actually evaluate the expression....it returns the string 10000000000-5500000000 instead of 4500000000.

#Trigger {That will cost %1 experience.} {#fu nexttrain {%eval %1-@currentxp}}

That function trigger works as far as capturing the very large numbers correclty, but doesn't actually perform the operation:
%1-@currentxp

Merc
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:57 pm   

#HELP pattern matching
#HELP %eval

#TRIGGER {That will cost (%n) experience.} {#VAR nexttrain {%eval(%1-@currentxp)}}
mercatroid
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:01 pm   

nexela, unfortunately (as shown in the above posts), I've tried that exact line or a functionally identical one already, to no avail.

The problem comes in zMud's inablity to handle numbers greater than 2147483647.

I thought I had overcome that, but it was a ruse. zMud was evaluting the numbers as if they were strings (which is why it was returning the string %1-@currentxp (with numbers plugged in, example: 1000000000-5000000000) instead of actually performing the calculation.

Any other ideas?

Merc
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:15 pm   

Well your biggest problem happens to be the way your using functions and pattern matching, as for big numbers use VBscript

#TRIGGER {That will cost (%n) experience.} {#VAR nexttrain {%mss( {cDbl(%1)-cDbl(@currentxp)}, VBScript)}}

Edit: Changed cInt to cDbl
Edit: Added bottom half

This is why this line is wrong
Code:
#Trigger {That will cost %1 experience.} {#fu nexttrain {%eval %1-@currentxp}}
                      ^(1)                    ^(2)              ^(3)

1. %1 should never be used in the pattern see pattern matching
2. #FUNCTION does not evaluate it stores what you pass to it as a string for making user defined functions
3. Most functions must have their paramaters in parentheses ()'s %eval(2-1)
mercatroid
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:53 pm   

Well thanx for the tip....still not working exactly right, but I think I can work out the bugs.

Just fyi thought:

1] %1 has been the default pattern matching variable for years and years....not just in zMud, but also TinTin, Perl, Python, etc...
2] #fu math (%eval 2-1) assigns the value 1 to the variable @math. As you pointed out, #fu isn't doing the eval....that might be the %eval command in that string.
3] I was using parentheses. Your copy of my code had {}.

Thanx again for your help.

Merc
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:00 am   

1] Not in zmud %1 is unsupported it only works for compatibilty with tintin but because of its nature can lead to bad things happening.

2] You are changing things again #fu nexttrain {%eval %1-@currentxp} creates a variable with the value: %eval %1-@currentxp, #func doesnt expand #var does. It has nothing to do with the %eval in the string

3] No you were not and no it does not. %eval(%1-@currentxp) NOT %eval %1-@currentxp AND NOT (%eval %1-@currentxp)

And what is not working with the script? I tested it and it seems to be working.
mercatroid
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:24 am   

1] I've never had any problem with %1, ever.
2] I didn't change anything, the #fu line that I posted did exactly what I said it did, and I've tested other #fu expressions that also contain %eval, and they return exactly the same result as #math or #eval.
3] I see. *I* was the one who copied it wrong. I *did* use parentheses in my original version of that function.

As far as the script, it's working fine now, I had to change the way it stored the variable. Nothing wrong with your line, just in the other lines I had that drew information from it.

Again, thx for your help.

Merc
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:11 pm   

Quote:

I've never had any problem with %1, ever.

Here's an example of what can go wrong with using %1...%99 in a trigger pattern:

Code:

#trigger "A" {That will cost (%n) experience.} {TheRightWay = "%1"}
#trigger "B" {That will cost (%1) experience.} {TheWrongWay = "%1"}

#STATUS {Right: @TheRightWay     Wrong: @TheWrongWay}

#alias EchoTest {#echo That will cost [b]123,456,789[/b] experience.;#echo That will cost [b]a really large amount of[/b] experience.}

The triggers would fire three times:

Trigger A would fire once on the line containing 123,456,789.
Trigger B would fire once on the line containing 123,456,789.
Trigger B would fire once on the line containing a really large amount.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:28 am   

Given that information, I would say that %n is TheWrongWay, because it would fire on a line that did not contain numerical information (the "a really large amount" line), and therefore would return null values for any subsequent operations you wished to perform on the expected numerical value.

In your pattern matching tutorial, and in the zMud help files, there are plenty of ways to distinguish between numerical, text-strings, general "catch-all" patterns, and any number of other types of patterns.

But w/e, I'm definately not interested in what it turning into a "who's right, who's wrong" argument. Accept my thanx for helping with my problem, and move on. Okay?

Merc
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:35 am   

How is %n wrong? It matches numbers, numbers with commas, numbers with a +sign and numbers with a - sign %n. Tt is the perfect choice for dealing with numbers with comma's

(%n) would never capture "a really large amount"
mercatroid
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:55 am   

mercatroid wrote:

But w/e, I'm definately not interested in what it turning into a "who's right, who's wrong" argument. Accept my thanx for helping with my problem, and move on. Okay?

Guess not.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:54 am   

*rofl*

What did you expect, telling a person with 1369 posts and an excellent knowledge of zMUD that they are wrong when they are clearly right and then telling them to move on and ignore your inanity?
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:00 pm   

Definitely definitely funny.
By stating something is the right or the wrong way, you've started the argument no matter how many times you claim you wouldnt want it to turn into an argument lol.
It kind of reminds me of the game 8 year olds play. Tag! You're It! Can't tag me back! Wink
I view forums as suggestions. Take the advice, ask for more, ask for a better explanation, etc. People are here to help and I respect the time and effort they put into the posts.
Also, by stating it is the wrong way, they may start looking for a bug in the programming logic when the logic is designed to do exactly that. This is probably the reason they will ask for more information, not because you told them to move on.
Slaem
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:15 am   

Pseudo wrote:
Definitely definitely funny.
I view forums as suggestions. Take the advice, ask for more, ask for a better explanation, etc. People are here to help and I respect the time and effort they put into the posts.

It shows in your posts, too. I've always enjoyed your comments and suggestions, Pseudo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: