Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mitbulls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:49 pm   

zMUD Settings File Problems

I'm having serious problems keeping any settings files from becoming corrupted. It began with zMUD 7.20a. I upgraded and everything went well for awhile, until I received an access violation error while trying to close zMUD (presumably in saving the configuration settings). Then, my settings file became corrupt. I created a new character and imported the settings file, and went on happily until it happened again (this happened a total of four times).

Getting a little annoyed, I saw that there was a new version of zMUD out, so I upgraded to 7.21. Now, however, I'm getting a series of several errors every time I try to save a settings file, even if it's blank. The first error just says "error saving settings file," which doesn't really mean much to me. Next, I get one of the following access violation errors:

access violation at address 004041E2 in module "zmud.exe'. Read of address 726F2021

...at address 004BDAB4...read of 65626D75

...at address 00403320...read of 1C91EB02

I copied all of my personal files and unstalled zMUD, then deleted the entire zMUD folder and performed a clean install. I then imported my settings again, and received a corrupted settings file error, but the import settings dialog still opened after I clicked okay. I can now import the settings I need, but if I attempt to save them, I get the same series of errors listed above.

I store all of my zMUD files on a network drive, so I tried copying my settings files, etc. over to a local drive, but still have the same problem. I'm running out of ideas now, and have a lot of settings that I don't want to lose. Does anyone have any other ideas what I might try?
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:55 pm   

I'm working on that myself at the moment.

I have had no issues since the release of v7.2x till I copied by .mud file and emailed to myself. I still figure its me doing a bad script or nested string list.

After importing/exporting/errors, I notice when I look at my folders that I have 2 folders with the same name in the root. Working on cleaning that up. I'll let you know how it goes.

#DELCLASS DuplicateClassfolder
That crashes it completely.
Exported it all, deleted the DuplicateClassfolder (appears once).

I get the that kind of error when I try to save the .mud file to any folder besides the subfolder specified in the character. Where are you saving your .mud file in relation to that?
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:34 pm   

Changing the subfolder to the location I want to save the .mud file solves my crashing problem.
mitbulls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:26 pm   

Saving my settings file anywhere on the network drive still gives me the same error. I was able to save a backup settings file to the desktop once without error and imported it without a problem, but then the errors began to appear again. Now I get the same error when attempting to save to the desktop.

I will try saving some different ways or creating new characters for more experiments and let you know if I have any more luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: