Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Sinema
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:39 pm   

Status Command Window

Just a quick question.

I'm trying to come up with a FAQ script that will have preloaded questions and answers that new members in a guild ask.

My goal is to have a button that can be pressed and a Status window pops open ( something small ) it could be a panel that opens.. that has topics that you can select and it will send the text to the window that will help them solve that problem. Basically, I'll create a Q/A Database that will draw the info from ( or well will try to anyway )

Also, I'm curious is there a way to make user names clickable to allow for auto targetting so when you click on that users name and click on the above reply to their question , it'll auto send or direction the reply to them..

Thanks for any replies.

Edit

The clickable names could be hard to do as prefixes and suffixes are used.. but the top one is more important..

Sinema
Insomniac
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:29 pm   

Personally, I'd do it all from within an alias, so they could just type FAQ, or whatever.

Lookup MXP in the help files - You can create clickable links, which you could use to index and jump through your FAQ and also for the user name thing.

Basically it would look and function like a HTML web page with clickable links etc.

Something like this:

#ALIAS FAQ {#IF ("%1" = "") {#MXP FAQ Version 1.0;#MXP ~<send href="FAQ Introduction">Introduction~</send>%cr;#MXP ~<send href="FAQ Credits">Credits~</send>} {};#IF ("%1" = "Introduction") {#ECHO These are the instructions};#IF ("%1" = "Credits") {#ECHO These are the credits}}

No-one ever gets flamed for posting too much information. Conform to the PPP (Preferred Posting Protocol) and give as much information as possible, including MUD output where needed.
Sinema
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:39 pm   

Yes but will this open an adjustable status window that contains the information?

I'm looking to make an adjustable status window that contacts the FAQ's that will allow whomever to click on it and it will send the information to the main window..

I think what you posted was something that will just echo the info to the person reading it in their gaming window.

Sinema
Insomniac
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:07 pm   

Yeah, that's right.

Sorry my post wasn't more helpful. I misunderstood your post, in fact, I still don't have a clue what you're wanting now! Embarassed

No-one ever gets flamed for posting too much information. Conform to the PPP (Preferred Posting Protocol) and give as much information as possible, including MUD output where needed.
Sinema
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:14 pm   

If you go to Windows >> Status ( in zMUD )

it'll bring up a small window.. ( the status window ) is there a way we can make our own little status window so I can fill it with Text and Clickable Aliases..

The possibles can be endless with this as you can load that window with battle commands , abilities, information, or in my case, clickable aliases that will send tells to noobies needing help..

Sinema
Insomniac
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:40 pm   

Ok then, looks to me like the MXP send part I was talking about is ideal for this.

Looking at the help files for #STW and MXP I don't see why you should have a problem at all.

Sinema
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:46 pm   

#WINDOW is also good

Thanks for the help

Sinema
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:55 pm   

I'm not sure if you can dow exactly what you want doing regular mud windows since they can be quirkly thanks to layout, but if you really want to do that look into the #MAKEWINDOW command.

You can do something a bit more kludgey with combination of #PROMPT, #MESSAGE and #YESNO

For example

Code:
#YESNO "Where to you want to go today?" {Temple:.temple} {Guild:.guild} {*Microsoft:#URL http://www.microsoft.com}

or
Code:

#PROMPT choice "Do you want to know about Healing, Tanking, Guild"
#SHOW @choice

You can use the following VB Function to then display your FAQs.
Code:
#SCRIPT {function Msg(text):MsgBox (text):end function} VBScript
#NOOP %mss(Msg("Hello out there in TV land. " + vbCrLf + "A beautiful place to be"))

I reccomend this method because currently the other options (#PROMPT, #MESSAGE and #YESNO) have trouble display multi-line text.

As for clicking a word and have that be a target you want to use %selword Note: It looks for a right-click since it was designed to work with speed menus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: