Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:08 pm   

ZML File Names With Spaces

I was working on a ZML application and couldn't figure out why my app wouldn't run. I kept getting the very non-helpful "Run Zeus with a command line argument indicating which .ZML file to execute." I scanned my code looking for the most insignifact error. Finally, I took a demo file that I knew worked and copied and pasted the code over top of my code and saved it and it also failed. That's when I realized zApp doesn't like spaces in the name. When I renamed my ZML application (sans spaces) using my old code it worked.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:32 pm   

What do you mean by "zApp doesn't like spaces in the name"?

Remember that zApp tries to parse the command line. Windows command lines separate arguments with spaces. So if you are trying to run zApp with a ZML filename that has a space in it, you need to put the whole filename in quotes:

C:\zApp\zApp.exe "My app.zml"

This is true of most any Windows application that parses the full command line.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:43 pm   

Normally you can double-click a ZML file to launch it (since ZML files are associated with zApp.) You can no longer do that if the ZML file has spaces in the name.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:49 pm   

I figured it was from the new command line parameter parsing. This is not a tremendous deal but its one of the "gotchas" that people may come across. I use Crimison Editor now to edit the ZML files. I ALT-TAB between it and the file directory to test my ZML apps by double-clicking it. I spent some time scanning my code looking for errors before I discovered that I can't simply double-click a ZML to launch it if it has spaces in the name. So now, I just make sure my names don't have spaces in them. I can live with this. That is no problem for me but I am sure others may come across this and wonder why their code is not running.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:22 am   

Hmm, sounds like maybe I forgot to add the quotes around %1 in the Shell Open registry key for zml files. I'll look into that.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: