Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
Vodoc
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:48 am   

Tree navigation

Once again using the document viewer.
I like to use the keyboard when using a computer and get a bit frustrated when something doesn't support it efficiently (IMO).
Now: Going up and down expands the target node if it's unexpanded.
Suggestion: Don't expand it until the user requests it, it's very annoying and unnecessary computing power if you want to traverse a couple of nodes before you reach your target.
Now: Going right expands the node if it's unexpanded, otherwise nothing.
Suggestion: Expand it as now if it's unexpanded, otherwise go to the first child (simply one step down).
Now: Going left unexpands the node if it has children, otherwise nothing.
Suggestion: If the node has children and is expanded, unexpand it. Otherwise go to the parent of the node.

Just friendly suggestions that would at least make me happier.
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:39 pm   

Good. Definitely needs someone who attempts to just use things with a keyboard, to test out this stuff, IMO. (Usability studies)++ !

Lady C.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:04 pm   

Actually, this is something specific to the document viewer, and not an integral part of the Tree View in zApp. If you look at the DOCVIEW.ZML source code, you will see something in the OnSelect event for the tree that automatically expands a node when it is clicked. Since selecting it with the keyboard is the same as clicking on it, that is why it autoexpands when you select it. You can easily remove this line if you are using the full version of zApp that allows you to customize applications.

In a future version of the DocViewer, I'll make this an option.

Anyway, as far as the keyboard settings of the tree viewer (when not using the DocViewer modification), I think the keyboard actually works as expected. These components have been useability tested by hundreds of users over a number of years over at DevExpress. I doubt I'll make any changes to how it works unless I get a lot of feedback on it, since this is likely something that everyone will have a different opinion on.

But this is why I choose to use the DevExpress components in the first place rather than writing my own from scratch. The DevExpress controls *do* have extensive useability studies.
Vodoc
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:30 pm   

Alright, where is the zml file then? The exe file embeds a zxl file which does us no good in this case.

Edit: Ah, found it, it was bundled with the zappuser.exe Very Happy
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:33 pm   

Right. All of the demo source code comes with the full version of zApp. Doesn't make sense to distribute the source code with the doc viewer since it's bundled with the zAppLite version which can't be used to customize apps.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: