Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:09 am   

The "Summer Movie Thread"

OK, I know everyone is dying to start talking about the new movies that are starting to come up, so it's time for a new blog thread.

Chiara and I went to see "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" today, and we both really liked it. It is very faithful to both the book, and the overall collection of Adams stories. They added some stuff to the movie, for example, that isn't part of the first book, but is straight out of the Infocom game "Bureaucracy" that Douglas Adams wrote (the part about the "queues" and filling out forms).

I thought the movie was very well cast, although the Ford character could have been a bit better. Alan Rickman as the voice of Marvin was wonderful, although I didn't really care for the styling of the robot itself.

Some of the sets and sequences were fantastic. The section going through the planet construction yard was incredible.

I give it a big thumbs up for Douglas Adams fans. If you have never read the book, don't bother seeing it...it probably won't make any sense to you and you'll wonder why people are laughing. But even in the small audience we had at 2:00pm in the afternoon on a Monday, there were plenty of people laughing, including ourselves.

We are also looking forward to "Kingdom of Heaven" with Orlando Bloom...we love "period flics" and I was a big fan of Gladiator and have always liked Ridley Scott movies.

And of course there is Star Wars III, Revenge of the Sith. We probably won't see it the day it comes out, but a only a few days later.

So have at it...feel free to post your comments on the Hitchhikers Guide or any other movie this summer.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:35 am   

Excellent, I was feeling a bit wary about going to see Hitchhikers, since it's had some bad reviews.. feels better knowing your opinion and I think I will go see it rather than waiting for the DVD.

Not a huge Star Wars fan, but will see the movie for completeness sake (*cough*andnatilieportman*cough*).

How odd, there's a War of the Worlds movie coming out too... what is it with all these book movies now? I don't like the concept of Tom Cruise in it tho, he annoys me. :p
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:39 pm   

I am planning on seeing the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy with my wife. She's never read the books so I warned her about it. It will be interesting to see her reaction to it compared to mine. I'm glad you liked the movie because you can compare it to the books.

I will probably see Star Wars III, also. Not right away but I will see it in the theater (it really is a movie you want to see on a big screen.) I think Peter Jackson did such a good job on LOTR that it really knocked Star Wars down a few notches, in my eyes. It is possible to have a high budget fantasy movie with descent acting. Smile
slicertool
Magician

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:18 pm   

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Saw it opening day. There were a lot of really interesting things in there for the H2G2 fans. Douglas Adams has never kept the same story whenever he's moved it from one format to another... look at the game, radio series, book, and BBC mini-series. All different.

Anyways, the wife and I loved it and will most likely be buying it when it comes out on DVD.

My only real complaints are Arthur was too competant and Ford wasn't enough of a hoopy frood (but lots of really good towel jokes).

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

My wife and I have our midnight showing tickets bought, tickets to fly out to Disney World's "Star Wars Weekends" the following day.

We're very slight Star Wars fans... being that we have over $3000 in books alone...

(Edit: Something to note... my wife and I met on Star Wars Mud and she runs the website for it.)
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:29 pm   

I've got to say I'm not all that happy with the Summer selections. Too many rehashes / remakes / sequels to get me too excited. I think I'll be taking my chances with less hyped 'indy' things - in Chicago I'm right by the Landmark theatre which Sideways is the closest thing to mainstream it's had in a while, so lots of interesting things pop in and out if you are brave. Yes, I've picked some bad ones...

And, seeing someone brings up War of the Worlds - I'm horrified by this remake, I just don't think it should be a 'blockbuster' project. I actually have the original radio version on CD and can listen to it pretty much any time - I so wish I was around when it originally aired and people thought it was a real invasion. The original movie is kind of fun in an old movie type way which is fairly faithful to the radio bit.

Never got into the Hitchhiker's thing so doubtful I'll see it, no matter how much Zugg likes it.

But, I will see Star Wars on day 2 or 3...

___
Humpton lives like he types.... fast, and full of mistakes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Zugg's Blog All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: