Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:52 am   

Build 2.2.0.29 Crashes

I just installed the latest build and I cannot launch any ZML apps anymore. It crashes before anything even loads.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:00 am   

Well, you are right. Not sure why it worked within Delphi and doesn't work outside. Let me look into this for a bit to see if the problem is that PECompact stuff or not. Thanks for reporting this quickly!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:08 am   

Weird. Yep, the problem was once again with the PEBundle program. Last time we did this, I was able to bundle the SQLITE.DLL file. But now that doesn't work anymore. It causes the crash just like when I try to bundle other DLL files with zApp. So, it looks like I just need to throw out this PEBundle stuff. I'll just stick with the normal PECompact program from now on, and will force people to download any database drivers they might need separately.

Don't know why it worked before and not now, but if it's going to be flaky like this, I don't want to use it.

Anyway, the new version has been uploaded now so give it another try.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:20 am   

Okay, it works without crashing now. I will take a closer look tomorrow.

Just an FYI: there are other apps that do the same thing as PEBundle that might work better, like Fusion, Alloy and another one ((I don't have the name with me.) They may be more reliable than PEBundle.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:23 am   

The PEBundle author finally responded to the forum post about this problem and claims that he is working on PEBundle v4 and that is also supposed to fix it. So, I might just wait for that.

Also, remember that PEBundle *does* work if you use the normal mode where stuff is extracted to the disk. It's just the fancy "in memory" bundling that fails.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:25 am   

Btw, any links for those other products would be appreciated. Unfortunately, "Fusion" and "Alloy" are rather common terms to Google for. With "Cold Fusion", even doing queries for Windows-related stuff doesn't work. Really bad name choices for their products I'm afraid.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:27 am   

I agree. I'll get them for you tomorrow. I better get to bed.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:05 am   

http://www.bitarts.com/fusion.htm
http://www.sharewareconnection.com/alloy.htm
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:49 pm   

Thanks, mr_kent, for posting those for me.

Also, Zugg, here is a place where you can purchase a Delphi library/source code for incorporating the binder functionality into ZAPP Pro: http://www.codeoffice.com/faq.htm. With source code it's $99. (Heck, include that ability in the normal ZAPP Razz )

I was thinking it could be useful for the DLL binding idea.

EDIT TO ADD: Look! It's my 100th post! Cool
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:00 pm   

Hmm, with Fusion, they have this "feature" listed:
Quote:
Virtual linking temp file is removed when module closes.
which implies that the embedded files are written to disk. That's what I'm trying to avoid. PEBundle already works fine when extracting the files to disk.

Sounds like Alloy does the same thing. It just extracts files to directories on the disk. I don't really see where this functionality is any different than just adding the files to the installer in the first place. They sound like solutions for people who don't want installers, but I am already happy with the installer I'm using.

Not sure if CodeOffice can handle DLL extractions in memory or not. They don't really say (at least what I could find). I'd probably need to use their trial version to find out. Looks like it would work for attaching a ZXL file to zApp on the fly, so it might be worth it. But it would be even nicer if it could embed one of these database DLLs.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:46 pm   

Zugg, there was one other binder that I am searching for that did the same thing as PEBundle (did not write to disk.) I will post that link when I find it.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:22 pm   

Got it! Here's the link to the other binder: http://www.molebox.com/

Quote:
From their site: Packed program runs without extracting files to the disk
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:56 pm   

Cool, that looks promising. I'll have to wait till I have more money before I can get it, but at least there is a free trial. It would be great if this even works with the elicense40.dll file, but I'd doubt it. But if it just works with the database DLLs, that would be great.

Wow, there seem to be a lot of products that perform this kind of function. I guess that pretty much eliminates any potential "run time" complaints. There seem to be lots of ways to get around it.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:09 pm   

Unfortunately, many developers are unaware of them.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:57 pm   

Zugg, did you try MoleBox to see if it worked with the various DLLs you use? I noticed on their web site that they offer life-time updates.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:58 pm   

No, I haven't tried it yet. I've been buried in various bug fixes for the past few days. I'll take a closer look at this stuff towards the end of next week when I get close to packaging the public release.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: