Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion
Davidge
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:54 am   

Do NOT run update with ACXplorer until ACSpedia is fixed!

ACSpedia.com has been overrun by some low down low life scammer and hundreds of locations have been appended with Map and Quest Writeup URL links that now point to one of several Spyware / Malware source sites instead of Maggies or ACMaps.

It gets worse.

On my machine with full protections turned on (firewall, ZA, SPI hardware) I had no issues, but a quick test on an unprotected machine reveals that if you try to view the ACMap entry for a dungeon thats been modified by this criminal, you may be running a spyware install module.

Early entries around two days ago show that the spammer was simply appending long lists of his poker/gambling URL's to the Description field.

Today's modified entries show that he has been increasing his knowledge of the ACSpedia data entry fields, and he has begun replacing the URL's for maps and quest writeups with his own on old entries.

I will append this thread with status as I find out more from Geomancer.
Davidge
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:56 am   

Update: The offending sites malware appears to be removed, and their host is canceling the account that spawned the spam. (the "poker" site that is.)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:02 pm   

It's so sad when someone like this ruins it for everyone else. It's like people who spray graffiti on walls. Maybe someone we will be able to come up with some sort of consequences that can keep idiots from pulling stunts like this.

Anyway, thanks very much for posting this information for the rest of us.
JSFF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:06 pm   

I've just re-installed AC Explorer 3.33 in this comp and activiated my license.

I would like to know if I still have option to activate my license on another 2 comps ? I might have not un-installed the previous activation, that had been over a year that I havent used AC Exp.

I'd tried to use Contact US on top of column, but the link was not working. I think one of you in charge of the matter might have come across this page :)

ya, that's too bad, the update data was not working, and quite nice to know the reason behind *sigh*
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:59 pm   

Yes, it should still work fine. And if not, just send us a polite email with your registration details and ask if we can reset it. We usually do that if there's no evidence of abuse for your reg code.

The Contact Us link at the top of the page calls your email client to send an email message. It's possible that either your web browser doesn't handle "mailto::" links, or that your email client doesn't support the MAPI standard to respond to this link.

We used to have a web-based form for email, but got too much crap and spam from it, so I had to remove it.
JSFF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:47 pm   

I think my license works fine. It shows License # 01/03 on the eLicense Control details; info that I've overlooked.

Cheers.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: