Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Loto
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:43 pm   

zMUD on Wine

I ran a search, and didn't see any posts about this particular issue, so I'm going to post. I finally got Linux on my computer *cheers* but I can't find any decent Linux MUD Clients, so I'm going to try to get zMUD running on it. I downloaded zMUD on here, then installed it, but when I try and run it it says I need to download MDAC. So I went to download MDAC, but it said I need IE 4+ and SP2... is there anyway to get around this, because I seriously doubt SP2 will be able to be installed with Wine. I could do IE, but I'd rather not, but I don't think I could do SP2.
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:39 am   Re: zMUD on Wine

[quote="Loto"]I ran a search, and didn't see any posts about this particular issue[/quote]

Odd- I just did a forum search for "WINE" and got a screenful of threads, including the following:
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8272&start=120

That's a link to a late part of a long thread in the General Discussion forum.

I use my Windows box for zMud, so I can't vouch for the directions they give.

One of the sets of directions that people said worked for them as of last July follows my sig.

-Tarn

Nema32 said:

I wanted to thank everyone for contributing to this thread. Now I have zMud 7.04 up and running on fedora core 2. I'm using the 6-15 wine rpms for fc2. Here were my steps:

1) Insall IE6SP1. I used option 1 from http://frankscorner.org/

2) followed Daagar's suggestion of downloading setupx.dll from
http://www.dll-files.com and unzipping into fakewindows/system dir.

3) installed MDAC 2.8 and JET 4.0 from http://www.zuggsoft.com/data

Then I just copied my zMud directory and it ran. There are some minor glitches,
but most everything works, although noticably slower.

Thanks a lot, everyone.
Loto
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:26 am   

I guess my search was too specific. I ran it off like 4 keywords, hoping for better results. Heh... anyway, I followed those instructions, it didn't work. It still said I need Internet Explorer 4+, even though I install version 6.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:13 pm   

Well, I decided to try getting the internet explorer install file off the web, which I successfully did. But, when I run it, I get:

"Setup was unable to download the required components. Please make sure you are connected to the internet, or run setup again later."

Of course, I am connected to the internet... does anyone know if I can download these files that I need?
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:16 pm   

Most microsoft installers (at least the older ones) will let you download the files needed to a directory so you could back them up or install them on another machine. If you can run the setup from a windows box (even say, vmware win95 or the like), you may be able to save the files, burn them, and run them on wine. Not sure about the IE6 download, though.

Good luck,
Ryu
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: