Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2
Zugg Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:37 pm
Opinions: Free Upgrades
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:22 pm   

Trillian also isn't really a fair comparison because it is *definitely* competing with free products much more that eMobius will be. In fact, I must still be using a beta version or something because I have Trillian running and I've never paid for it and it's never prompted me to or anything.

And thanks for the nice comments IceChild Smile
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:36 am   

Try comparing it to outlook. Thats not free for anyone, though to some people it may appear so if they buy a new computer that comes standard with Office. It gets free upgrades until the next major version is released.

The other thing is that an email program is a bit different to something like zMud. If its being used by a company, even a sole trader, then they will understand and expect to pay for major releases. If its a home users after his content management ideas (protect the kids and that other stuff that was discussed) then they will let it run out and only buy a new version when they see a particular feature they really want - but chances are that wont happen cos they are not power users, so they'll be happy with what they have.

Look at some other products - MYOB. ("Mind Your Own Business" - accounting software). They have time based free upgrades... forget if its 12 months or 24, but that product costs hundreds of dollars. because its the best however, people pay that price. And because the major releases have major new features - companies will consider upgrading if the new features are particularly useful to them.

And support after 12 months costs money. At least with eMobius - there will be the support forum which will continue. If lots and lots of people chose not to upgrade, Zugg could always create a separate help forum for the old version, and the people would get support (in the form of QA, if not bug fixes) without Zugg needing to even look at it.

I think the challenge for Zugg will be to add features so wonderful and powerful, that people will want the new version after 2 years so much, that they pay for it - and not only pay for it, but do not resent doing so at all. Imagine if zMud was not free upgrades, and 5.55 had gone straight to 7.05. I would have paid for the new version. But to 6.16? Probably not.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: