Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Cykops
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:49 pm   

Time counter

Any easy way to make a time counter?
you do command A and the counter start after a random time(1-20 min) it ends and you want to know how long it was...
megamog75
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:24 pm   

you mean the tick timer?
how long inbetween to times

or do you mean
you have a trig that sets %time into a var
and when that trig fires again or anouther trig fires you set the new %time into a new var - one from the other to know how long it was between them?
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:06 pm   

Use one of the predefined clock variables.
%ctime
%secs
Store your start time in a variable of your own choice, using either an alias or a trigger.
#AL A {#VAR StartClock %ctime;~A}
When you reach whatever event indicates that timing should stop, subtract the start time from the current time.
#TR {All done, how long did it take?} {#MATH ElapsedTime (%ctime - @StartClock);#SAY It took @ElapsedTime seconds}

You would get better results if you told us what you actually want to do, "cast shield" instead of "command A", and gave us details about what results are actually expected, "the shield around you fades away" instead of "after a random time". Without details such as that, our responses can't be particularly meaningful either. But this should be enough for you to figure out your own solution.
Cykops
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:53 am   

Got my answer... works like a charm... never thougt of it that way =)
Thanks a mill...
coras

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:07 pm   

I know it's been a while since this was first posted, but I have a few questions on the same general matters:

1. Has anyone figured out a method to use the PC time (%time) with #MATH?

2. Using the %ctime, how would you convert seconds into minutes AND seconds? I am currently using #MATH ElapsedTime ((%ctime - @StartClock)/60), and it gives me minutes, but no seconds (or parts of minutes).

TIA
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:50 am   

1. It wouldn't be particularly difficult, but why would anybody bother? Both of the system variables I suggested are already in numeric form. The %time system variable is in a string form which would have to be converted to a number prior to use. Go ahead and do it if you want, but it just adds needless complication.

2. Divide by 60 to get minutes. The remainder is seconds. Use modulo division ( or %mod) to get remainders. You can also get remainders by first dividing and then multiplying by the same number, and subtracting the result from the original number.
Kalgores

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:59 am   

Lightbulb & Coras... Thank you for your curiousity and knowledge. I've previously (although reading heavily in Zmud help files) not come across the %ctime function/predefined variable. I've used it to great effect in a new script. (a 'stopwatch' timer to go with an Xp tracker on Valheru mud.) I wont post till i test, but it surely beats using the #alarm fuction to make a counter/timer.

Good coding! and Thanks!!!

Kalgores
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: