Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Carabas
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:05 pm   

Possible fix for the Mapper problems

I had a bit of free time at work today and stumbled across this little tidbit of information.

quote:
The MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh release installs the same Data Access core components as Microsoft Windows XP SP1, with the addition of several important bug fixes. ...

quote:
MDAC 2.7 SP1a is the integration of MDAC 2.7 SP1 and the Mdac_qfe.exe package that is installed with SQL Server 2000 SP3. MDAC 2.7 SP1a also includes fixes for two setup-related bugs.

Date Published: 6/3/2003

Please note that this update is not for Windows XP.

quote:
No installation support for the stand-alone release is offered for the Windows XP platform because this same version of MDAC ships as part of Windows XP. Service packs of MDAC for Windows XP should be obtained through OS Service Pack releases.

However,

quote:
Running the 2.6/2.7 MDAC_TYP.exe on a computer running Windows XP. If you attempt to run the 2.6/2.7 MDAC_TYP.exe on Windows XP, the process appears to complete successfully, reporting a successful installation of the MDAC components. However, no files are updated on your system. If you want to upgrade Windows XP to MDAC 2.7 SP1 original release (2.71.9030.9), you should install the Windows XP Service Pack 1 release. If you want to upgrade Windows XP to MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh (2.71.9040.2), you need to upgrade Windows XP to Windows XP Service Pack 1 and then apply SQL Server SP3a (MSDE 2000 SP3a).

Windows 98/SE, ME, NT, 2000:
MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh

Windows XP:
Windows XP SP1a
SQL Server 2000 SP3a

Any volunteers? Very Happy
Carabas
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:31 pm   

Also,

Jet 4.0 SP7 Knowledge Base Article with links to download for 98, NT, 2000, ME, XP and 2003.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:42 am   

Hmm, we need to find out if those folks with the speed problem have installed the WinXP Service pack or not. I'd hate to require people to install the SQL Server 2000 SP3a if we can avoid it...seems like a waste of time to install a service pack for something you don't have.

And I wonder what even happens when you try to install the SQL Server 2000 SP3a on a system that doesn't even have SQL Server installed? Does it even work I wonder?

But this is just the kind of stuff from Microsoft that drives me crazy. Why can't they just make an MDAC service pack that works on WinXP? Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to allow the MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh actually *work* and update the files like it's supposed to.

Maybe we need to wait till MDAC 2.8 assuming they can get it working for a change.

At least they admit that the MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh isn't *exactly* the same as what is installed by Windows XP.

Also, I'm pretty sure I actually saw those notes before which is why the http://www.zuggsoft.com/data page for WinXP tells you to install the latest WinXP Service pack first. Maybe I need to make that more clear and obvious.
parrotslave
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:42 am   

Yes, I have installed the WinXP Service Pack.

I was going to try the above, but microsoft is having some kind of server problems and I couldn't get the download.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: