Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2
Grif Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:17 am
6.40 mapper speed
tcrown007
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:39 am   

I've noticed the same behavior. I'll explain it differently. In the older mapper, let's say you wanted to speedwalk 10 rooms and it takes you 10 seconds to do it. (not really, but go with me) After you clicked on the room to walk to, on second 1 you will have moved 1 room, on second 2, you will have moved 2 rooms, arriving in room 10 on second 10.

In 6.40, you start walking but nothing happens on second 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, then on second 9 you take off and arrive on second 10.

hth.
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:49 am   

hexen1024, even if you are using Windows XP, check your MDAC and Jet files anyway. It definately shouldn't take that long, and it doesn't take that long for me.

Kjata
hexen1024

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:33 am   

That's what i said, ALL my drivers are up to date, including those jet drivers and everything. Maybe it doesn't take yours that long because your db is not 36 Mb
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:02 am   

It's 11MB but it shouldn't be that big of a diference between 11MB and 36MB. Also, Zugg has tested various maps of diferent sizes, including some very big ones.

Try sending an e-mail to him, he might need to look at your map.

Kjata
Eowyn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:30 pm   

I've got the same problem. In stead of fluidly moving from room to room when I speedwalk - I seeminlgy "teleport" a bunch of rooms away. Worse - I often end up standing still - waiting for the map to catch up on my position - before I start speedwalking the next leg.

I use windows XP
msadomd.dll version 2.71.9030.0
msador15.dll version 2.71.9030.0

From jet package
msrd2x40.dll 4.0.4910.0

I.e. updated.

My map is 16,4 MB big, with around 14 000 rooms.

Otherwise the mapper is great (no more mapfreezes -wuhuu :) )
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:14 pm   

I got hexen1024's 36MB map database file and have confirmed the speed issues. For reference, this is the largest map I have seen, and also has large "wilderness" areas where there is a room at each grid location with 7 links leaving it and connecting to the adjacent rooms in all directions.

This map has about 19,000 rooms in the ObjectTbl table, and about 128,000 records in the ExitTbl table. This is a *lot* more data in the database then I've ever been able to play with before.

It's possible that this database is just too big for the Microsoft ADO/MDAC software to handle. But at least using this example database I ran run my profiler tools to see what is causing the slowdown.

If the slowdown is in SQL statement execution, then there probably isn't anything I can do. However, if the slow down is in some of my code, then I might be able to improve it. At least I have a file to play with, which will help a lot.

So to summarize, yes, there seems to be a big speed difference between an 11MB database and a 36MB database. Looking at my memory usage when using the big map database, it was routinely using all 256MB of ram on my system, which means it was disk thrashing. With the 11MB file, everything seemed to fit in memory ok and there wasn't any disk thrashing. Once it starts thrashing to the disk, performance goes down the tubes.

peewee
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:02 am   

If it turns out that it is the SQL being slow, what do we do then? Are there any options, but sacrifice functionality (6.40) over speed (6.16)?

"May the Force be with you"
[url]peeweesweden@bredband.net[/url]
Eowyn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:59 pm   

So - in other words - if your harddisk starts churning while speedwalking, it might be a good idea to buy more ram?
Would it be an option to use a different SQL database?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: