Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
sk0tto
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:12 pm   

Trouble with #LOOP in 6.40

I'm in the process of creating a compass out of 10 buttons. I am trying to write script to highlight the available exits. I have no problem doing this for rooms with one exit. Thats because I don't need to loop through the list of directions to test for their existance. I use a huge nested #if. Probably not the most efficient way of doing things, this is my first BIG script for zMud. However, my problem is in programming a #loop to loop through the list of available exits and highlight each of those buttons. I messed around with the #LOOP statement to try and figure it out, but I just cannot do so. In testing the #loop statement, I did the following:

#loop 1,10 {#noop %btncol(%item{nw|n|ne|w|e|sw|s|se|u|d,%i},0,10)}

the string list above represents the name of each of my buttons that I declared in the ID box on the advanced tab of the button dialog.

Looking at the code, it would seem as though %i would expand to each of the 10 directions as it went through the loop. However, %i only holds the value of the very last button, and on it gets highlighted.

I was stumped for 2 hours last night, and finally went to bed at 5:15. I had to get up for work at 7:30. That being said, I am sorry if the above code isn't 100% perfect. I may have messed up the ()'s and the {}'s. zMud isn't in front of me, either, I'm going from memory. Any ideas guys?
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:10 pm   

The %btncol function uses button numbers rather than button names. And yes, you have indeed messed up the ()'s and {}'s. But if your compass buttons are in sequence, you shouldn't need to use a list since all you need is the button number. If they are buttons 1-10:
#LOOP 1,10 {#NOOP %btncol(%i, 0, 10)}
If they are buttons 7-16:
#LOOP 7,16 {#NOOP %btncol(%i, 0, 10)}

LightBulb
sk0tto
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:30 pm   

If the ID field uses numbers rather than names, then why did the button highlight on a room with one exit? It seems that I tried assigning them numbers, but then I had buttons highlighted that had nothing to do with the compass. I was probably over tired last night. I'll try again tonight and see what I come up with. Thank you!
Iccor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:26 pm   

i have seen a complete script on this in the finished script forum

Iccor
sk0tto
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 12:55 am   

I figured it out. Apparently, zmud automatically assigns ID numbers to buttons according to the order that they were created. That's why when I was doing a loop from 1 to 10, all the wrong buttons were highlighted no matter what ID I gave them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: