Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
cimares
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 3:24 pm   

Firewalls..

Ok, I've read a few posts in here about using port forwarders to get around firewalls, but how exactly does this work?

I'm actually the firewall administrator, but can't add a rule in that permits Telnet out for Audit reasons.

I'd like to restore my Mud access (purely for out of hours of course!!) but not quite sure how to go about it.. Any suggestions as to what I need to set-up..

Cheers

Cimares.

Avalon-rpg.com The Legend Lives.
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 3:43 pm   

One of two ways:

If your firewall allows ssh (port 22), and you have an account somewhere outside the firewall that you can use, just create a ssh connection to there, and use the port-forwarding capabilities of ssh. (See the other post)

Or, if it doesn't, you need to find some other port which is allowed through, eg 80 for http. And you need access (again) to a machine outside the firewall. You set up a script there which basically listens on port 80, and makes a connection to the mud, passing data between the two connections.

Lady C.
cimares
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 6:07 pm   

Hmm, I guess if I want to continue using Zmud, then I'll have to build a machine to sit on the dirty side of the firewall and forward from port 80.

Many thanks.

Avalon-rpg.com The Legend Lives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: