Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:34 am   

Update on Version Control

I wanted to post my thanks to Rainchild for his links to the TortoiseCVS system that he mentioned in another thread when we were talking about version control systems.

I installed it tonight and found it *very* easy to use, especially in the "local" mode where it doesn't even need a database (just uses a local directory). I like the integration with Windows File Explorer. I wasn't expecting the overlays on all of the file and folder icons. They take a bit of getting used to, but it's really a handy way to see what has changed and what needs to be checked in.

I'm expecting to use it the way you mentioned and will just check in the files and commit them once every version or so. It looks like a good way to archive versions and updates in a *simple* way without all of the normal server/database complexity needed for multi-user environments.

So, thanks again for the good recommendation Rainchild. You saved me a lot of searching for tools.

(BortaS, thanks for your help too, but the FreeVCS system just didn't work out for me for some reason).
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:33 am   

Sweet, I hope it makes life easy for you :)

I'm still exploring all the features, but it works well for me. The best thing is you can bring up 'diffs' of earlier versions with the current version to see what has been changed, etc, which is really handy.
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:19 pm   

Oh sure, but don't link to it. Sheesh. Now I've got to google it. I know I've been there, before, even used it a little once, but seeing a recommendation renews interest.
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:19 pm   

That was sarcasm, btw.
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:35 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Zugg

(BortaS, thanks for your help too, but the FreeVCS system just didn't work out for me for some reason).

No problem. At least you found a vcs solution that works for you. Wink Took me a good deal longer to find one myself.

I personally hate the file based vcs stuff. I prefer a server based one so that I can check stuff while I'm away from the home base. It has saved my behind a few times, when I had accidently deleted code files.

Anyways, I'm happy that you have vcs now. It will come handy. [8D]
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:41 pm   

Oops, sorry about that Darker. Here is the link for Tortoise CVS
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:03 am   

Hey RainChild, I've got a question I can't figure out. How do I remove files from CVS that I no longer want to track?

By mistake I included all my binary Delphi files (like *.dcu files) and I don't need to track those, just the source.

I see some options when I right-click that *might* do it, but I'm actually afraid of overwriting something of messing something up. Any help would be appreciated!
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:08 am   

The way they say to do it is
1) Take a backup copy of it to a spare folder
2) CVS -> Remove the offending file (this moves it to recycle bin if I remember right, but may just delete it hence take the backup copy :))
3) Restore the backup of the file
4) CVS Ignore it

I guess it's more designed for when you want to remove the file from the project all together, rather than un-adding something that you accidentally added :)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: