Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
DrkWraith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:43 am   

Can't Connect to Anything

I just purchased Zmud today, and I can't seem to get it to connect to anything at all. I've tried several different muds that I can telnet into, but no luck. I can't connect to zuggsoft.com(version check) or mudconnector.com (mud listings) through zMud either.

I've tried everything I can think of. I don't have a firewall or a proxy server. I seem to be able to resolve IP addresses fine. Any ideas?
schizo_iv

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:11 pm   

Just to make sure, are you setting the port correctly?
Just trying to figure it out.

When you connect through a mud on telnet I think it's default is port 23, now I remember when I first went into muds and zMUD and all that I actually forgot about the port and a friend helped me.

If you have connected to them before, and still can connect to them now with telnet, that is the only difference I can think. If that doesn't work, i'll look at telnet a little closer.
Cbisazza
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:31 pm   

What happens when you double-click on one of the icons in the zMUD "Characters" window?

Try achaea, for example, and see whether you get a connection.

If you do, then it's something with the set-up you created for your MUD.
DrkWraith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:23 pm   

The ports have been set correctly. I tried a variety of muds (including achaea) before I came here just to make sure it wasn't something with how I set up that character. Everything has had the same effect. The window pops up where the text would otherwise go, and at the very bottom it says "host <whatever> unreachable" It only pops up with the DNS lookup error when the site really doesn't exist. On the character edit screen, I can lookup IPs, but can't ping.
Guede
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:11 pm   

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but just a thought, do you have a Software Firewall installed? It may be the case that it sees: ooh, ZMUD trying to connect to the internet, hmm, I don't have a record of zMUD being allowed to do that and it's blocking the outgoing traffic.

You may want to check this to and if appropriate set your firewall to allow zMUD to use the internet (I know Norton can be a bit like this at times depending on how you have it set up).

If not, that's me out of ideas!

-G-
DrkWraith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:29 pm   

Nope, no software firewall.
DrkWraith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:56 am   

Fixed it. I still have no idea what it was, but I did a system restore today and now it works. Thanks to those who tried to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: