Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Chew
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:10 am   

zMud refuses to start (sorry ;))

Hey Folks,

I know that this problem is occuring very often. Unfortunately, it doesnt seem there is a solution. I hope to be wrong, of course :)

I used the 6.56 beta until yesterday. I thought then "let's update - 7.05, wow, you're working good, Zugg, just as always".

I updatet. I wish I had not *g* I think, I'd love zMud 7.05 if it worked (my girlfriend with Win2k doesn't have any problems).
But I have WinXP - I see splash screen, some Modules are loading ... and than it's away. No process, nothing. I installed this MDAC2.8 and checked my Services because of this LicCtrl ... but it is "automatic" and startet.

Nothing helps. And no even the old version of my zMud uses to crash (don't know why).

Is there help for me? Or should i change to telnet? *g*

Lots of greets,

Chew
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:54 am   

Try renaming the chardb.mdb file to something else. Perhaps it's corrupted.
Chew
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:00 pm   

Thanks for the answer. I did a fresh installation of zMud 7.05 - it didn't work. I renamed the chardb.mdb to chardb.mdb.muh - it didn't work.
I even deletet the cardb.mdb. zMud just created a new one in the second I can see the splash screen ... the screen disappeared and nothing more happened.

But thank you ...
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:57 pm   

Then I can only guess that this is caused by a possible corrupt MDAC installation. Try the MDAC Component Checker program linked to in http://www.zuggsoft.com/data. See if you find anything weird.
Chew
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:15 pm   

Well - this programm sais, I've got MDAC 2.8 RTM and everything does match. It looks wunderful. The only thing missing is a zMud 7.05 starting ;)
Let me summarize - it cannot depend on the LicCtrl because I see the splash screen for a moment (and LicCtrl is activated).
MDAC seems to be correct installed at the latest version ... also this JET thing.

Is it possible there are problems with my german OS? And, one thing more, when deinstalling zMud completely (custom and selecting _everything_ to be deleted) a new installation does always know the path where zMud was stored before. It seems there are some registry files left. Perhaps I should delete them? But how could I do that? Already tried regclean, it didn't help.

Some more ideas?
Jerran
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:50 pm   

Is your copy of XP dropping other programs as well? I'm thinking it may be an XP problem. I have 2 copies of XP at home (one on my desktop and one on my laptop) and they tend to stop various programs shortly after they start. Not every program, but always the same programs. Such as msconfig, Norton antivirus, and a bunch of others. I don't know why it does this, but it does, and every time I try to run these programs.
Chew
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:59 pm   

Oehm ... no, I dont think it does drop other programms. There is none I would remember now ... *sigh* No zMud for me, hm? Where could I get a public 6.x version?
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:54 pm   

Getting old versions is hard and not recommended. I would suggest that you contact Zugg directly at [url="mailto:zugg@zuggsoft.com"]zugg@zuggsoft.com[/url] and explain to him the problem. He may have some other suggestions.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:43 pm   

Sounds like a possible failed plugin. You would know better then I whether you ever used any plugins. For errant plugin's you want to remove bad registry entries in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/zMUD/Plugins]. Which are bad I can not tell you it is dependant on those you have used and removed.

Another thing that would be helpful in solving this problem for you is knowing exactly what component is being initialized when the the crash occurs. This can be determined by closely watching the splash screen, the last thing it reports would generally be the problem. It might take you a few launches to track that.
Sabiru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:57 am   

I'm running ME (i know Sad).. and i'm having the same problem. Thing is though, it just happened, i didn't update or anything.
Chew
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:26 pm   

Okay *g* I deleted _everything_ in my registry that included the word "zmud". After that I installed zMud 7.05 ... but it didn't work.
I see the splash screen that short, that I could not see which module it is. I expected the main module because it is the first thing to be loaded. Since I could not take a screenshot (probably because the computer was working) I had to take my digicam for an image *g* But that worked - here it is:

This image disappears so fast I cannot read the words - only with photo. So I think it's the main module ... bad thing, eh? *g*
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:50 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Chew

Okay *g* I deleted _everything_ in my registry that included the word "zmud". After that I installed zMud 7.05 ... but it didn't work.
I see the splash screen that short, that I could not see which module it is. I expected the main module because it is the first thing to be loaded. Since I could not take a screenshot (probably because the computer was working) I had to take my digicam for an image *g* But that worked - here it is:

This image disappears so fast I cannot read the words - only with photo. So I think it's the main module ... bad thing, eh? *g*

Hello,

You might want to attempt to edit zmud.ini. Try changing [Settings].Sound=1 to [Settings].Sound=0. Then save the file and try to run zmud.exe. Sound driver issues could cause the application to fail to start up.

Other things that can cause issues is if you run using an administration account or not. I have found it to be a bit difficult to install zMUD properly on a non admin account.

Also you could try changing [Settings].WinXPTheme=1 to [Settings].WinXPTheme=0 which turns off the WinXP theme support in zMUD.
Chew
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:02 pm   

Oh ... eh ... well, unfortunately there is no zmud.ini, I'm afraid. I expect this file to be created during the first start up that has never been completed in my case *g*
But thanks for answer!
Chew
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:04 pm   

P.S. And I am logged in as admin always - it's another thing if this is a good idea, but this should not be the problem.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:19 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Chew

Oh ... eh ... well, unfortunately there is no zmud.ini, I'm afraid. I expect this file to be created during the first start up that has never been completed in my case *g*
But thanks for answer!

At the very first startup I think it starts zsConvert to create the MUDlist from mudlist.txt. You might want to rename mudlist.txt to something else to attempt to fool it.
Chew
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:09 pm   

Interesting idea - unfortunately, it didnt work, too ... ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: