Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Glinka
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:00 am   

multiple Zmuds on diff logical drives?

Is it possible to run 2 zmuds on
different logical drives on one computer?

I have 6.16 but don't know anyting about
the newer versions and am hesitant to
try and upgrade for fear of losing all
my settings...

Thnx,
G.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:08 am   

Yes you can run install more than one copy of zmud but I believe you need a licenes for each one *don't quote me on the license part* And what fear of losing your settings just copy your settings to someplace safe when backing up/upgrading and usually after a day or two of a new version being out you would know if it was gonna toast your settings :P I havn't had zmud ruin any of my triggers now me on the other hand............. I have a habit of frying my triggers just by thinking about changing them
Glinka
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:57 am   

Any idea how many licenses are allowed per
zmud ?

Thanx again,
G.
Danlo
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:10 am   

Three licenses to install zmud, per purchase, iirc. Also, the license already installed on your computer for the existing Zmud installation would probably cover a second Zmud installed on the same computer, even on a different logical drive.
gth
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:22 pm   

Umm... last time I checked zMUD wasn't multi-threaded. You cannot run two copies of zMUD *at the same time*, if that was your question.

If you just want to connect to two muds, you know you already have that ability within the one instance of the zMUD program, right?
Danlo
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:04 pm   

Gth, depending on what OS you are using, you can assign programs to run in a separate memory space.
bluedragon
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:47 am   

i see this hasn't been responded to in awhile, but i was wondering if anyone may have figured out, or know of a way to run multiple instances of zmud? i know configuration files may have issues saving since it's not made to run twice at once
i use windows xp, and it appears that the shortcut is already set for zmud to run in a seperate memory space, and i can't toggle it (grey'd out)
i'm hoping to do it without having to install it to a different directory, i format often enough that i've had to use the demo of zmud for awhile while waiting for my liscense to run out (thankly it runs out)
Pega
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:30 am   

I suggest you always upgrade to the latest version of zMUD. Version 7 is way better than version 6. There is no excuse about losing settings, if you have the simple knowledge of making backups.

I can run zMUD in my 2 user accounts at the same time on win XP.

Since you can make multiple connections to a mud or several muds using one instance of zMUD, there is no point to installing different copies of zMUD on the same computer unless you are testing a beta or doing something other than normal zMUD'ing. Razz
bluedragon
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:51 am   

i do use the 7.04 currently, and i was just saying there might be issues with settings - the main thing is that i want it so i can be on two muds at once, each with different characters, so i can use ctrl+tab to switch from char to char while being on the same mud, and use alt+tab to switch muds.. and also so the focus char sends text to both chars on only the one mud, such as wanting to do :follow <person> so i don't attempt to follow that person on two different muds at once.

i also use captures for tells/gossips/ect, i have my zmud setup so there a large window at the top, and two smaller ones at the bottom (one tell, one public stuff), and i never full-screen it, so i can see both muds at once (i use 1900x1440 resolution)
and i don't want 4 windows at the bottom, nor do i want to have to tab them, i would much like them side by side, and even though doing some funky window layouts this may be possible, the alt/ctrl+tab thing i havn't found a way to do.

you can also see why i wouldn't want to have to switch users do to this, because my idea is i want to see both muds at once.
Pega
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:44 am   

Since you are running out of space on your monitor, instead of using a single 1900x1440 (although high resolution, unless you have an overhead projector or use a widescreen tv it is still quite small), try a multi-monitor system. All you need is a compatible (does not need to be the same type) video card and monitor, it is very easy to set up on windows XP/2000. I believe you can install up to 10 monitors if your video cards/motherboard can support it.

Use your script to identify each active window by name, you can set up a simple alias for addressing each group of windows. You can then send commands to specific windows or groups of windows.

This could save a lot of system resouces especially when running on a single processor.
bluedragon
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:10 am   

i'm not running out of space on my monitor, i was stating that i like to see two muds next to each other instead of tabbed setup, i have no reason to full-screen zmud because of my large resolution, since the only advantage to full-screening would be larger lines, since the number of lines doesn't increase as long as i have my zmud vertically as large as it can be.

i use a 22" monitor, which this resolution works nicely, and i have a p4 2.6 with HT, so like a psedu-multi processor system, i don't have problems of slowdowns or anything.

and i don't feel like buying a second monitor and video card just to mud with, i want to be able to EASILY switch between the muds, and chars of the mud without having 4 tabbed windows on one zmud, i find it much quicker to alt+tab to switch what mud i am on, and ctrl+tab to switch which character i am on.

i would just use some second client, but the power of zmud triggers alone are what make me want to stick with just it.
Pega
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:09 am   

In that case you should email Zugg with that suggestion. Perhaps there are other people interested in that feature. I myself am not familiar with software multi-threading in windows NT/XP.

In the meantime, a single alias/macro could let you switch between different sets of docked windows.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:50 pm   

Make sure Lock layout is not checked, Open Both mud windows grab there title tabs and pull them untill they undock and resize them next to each other might be a simple workaround.
bluedragon
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:37 pm   

that would only provide the ability to see both, it would not provde the difference between alt+tab and ctrl+tab, nor would it change how the focus char acts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: