Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Darkspawn
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:12 am   

Mapper

I am making a map of my mud using zones. It is working very well except when i try to link two independent zones together. Sometimes because of unsymmetrical ups and downs on the mud the same room will wind up on differant levels of the map(did that make sense?) I'll try to draw a picture

X---X---A(map level 1) A(map level 7)---X---X

so on the mud room A is the exact same room just entered through differant zones, but I can't seem to merge them because they wind up on differant map levels....
wilh
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:25 pm   

Well, let's consider Zone X (on the left in your diagram) which has room A on map level 1 and Zone Y (on the right) which has room A on map level 7.

The first step is to decide which zone room A actually belongs in. If room A belongs in Zone X, then we'll move room A to be on map level 1 in all zones. Conversely, if room A belongs in Zone Y, then we'll move it to map level 7 in all zones.

(If you're worried about the funkiness of your map at this point, don't fret -- it'll sort itself out. Keep reading.)

Now go the zone in which room A will NOT end up. (Zone Y in my first scenario, Zone X in my second.) Now move that room to the appropriate zone and merge it with "itself" in that zone.

Et voila.

I hope I've made it clear; these mapping things can be quite difficult to explain in words.

Take care,

Wil
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:37 pm   

You don't -need- to move the room to level 1 or 7, but you should only have one Room A, not two. I map across zones by finding the vnum of each room and manually linking the exits using the # button on the room properties' exits tab. It works just find across zones or on separate levels (i.e., you could link a room on level 1 in zone 1 with another room on level -2 in zone 3).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: