Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Aon
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:41 pm   

Zmud wont run at school

Zmud wont run at school and I was wondering if there is anything you guys can suggest... I assume its probably the massive amount of restrictions that our schools think they need to put on computers just to piss programmers off who are used to full access to their machines. lol But yeah in one class room I would try to install it it would install fine..click the Zmud to load..it brings up the hour glass liek its loading and then hourglass goes away and nothing happened.. Im like uhh ok? but in a different class room it says "Cannot find Zmud.exe or one of its components" or something close to that. Any suggestions from you Guru's?
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:50 pm   

In the first one it seems like eLicense is not being able ot start zMUD up. You could try checking the services in the computer (right click My Computer, select Manage, expand Services and Applications and select Services) to see if LicCtrl is running, but you might not be able to do that. Also, both may be caused by the computer not letting the installer modify the registry keys it needs.

Now, if the school doesn't want you installing programs, then you should not do the following. Having said that, if there is a way for you to run regedit, you might be able to do something about the situation. However, that really is not a topic for these forums.
Xymog
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:08 pm   

Observations:

* You need to provide a lot more troubleshooting information here -- "zMUD won't run" is not a diagnostic statement or very helpful to those here who can help. More info is needed from a troubleshooting perspective; what version are you using, what have you tried, what were the results, and so forth.

* If you really are skilled at working with computers and know some programming (PERL scripting, etc.), talk to your school's IT organization and ask to get yourself added to a group with greater privileges. Most schools I know are in desperate need of knowledgable folks who can help maintain the systems; maybe you can trade time as a sysadmin for greater privileges, at least on one machine. Then you can install zMUD, or at least troubleshoot zMUD better.

* Lastly, many sysadmins block inbound and outbound telnet at the firewall for security reasons. This is not a "massive restriction," it's one of the most sensible things you can do to keep a network safe (well, that and keeping your systems patched, and definitely by not running Windows <g>). Even if you get zMUD to load locally, there is a very good chance you won't be able to contact a MUD anyway. Your options are now to set up your own internal MUD just for people on your local network, or to work on other ways and other times to MUD.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:09 pm   

Remember that zMUD needs to be installed from an account with Admin priveleges on Win2000 or WinXP. There is no way around that.
notoriousBOB
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:33 am   

This is what I found from my experiences at school.. Most of the restrictions placed upon users are really to protect them from themselves. Like Xymog said, you should approach the academic computing department or the equivalent at your school. They dont want people to be installing cracked software, but probably will let you install something if you show them that it is legitimate. (not cracked, not something malicious) Heck, when I went into the department to ask at my school, not only did they let me, i actually left with a job [8D]

Good Luck to ya
Aon
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:23 pm   

lol well.. Our administrators are nazi's lol..
Even teachers dont even have enough rights to install stuff..
and we can get regedit open I think it just wont allow us to change anything.. lol.. I have admin access to my computer..dont ask how.. But I created my own admin account..the network just doesnt allow local login so I cant get on to use it :( though thats not a topic for here either..thanks for trying to help guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: