Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:33 pm   

Translating zMUD?

I have worked some on a small tool to make translating zMUD to another language more fun.

I am interested to hear if anyone else is interested in a tool like this. If that is the case I might upload it. As you can see in the picture it colours sections/properties it believes isn't translated red. This makes it easy to locate new strings added to new versions of zMUD.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:14 pm   

Wow. That looks pretty spiffy. I love anything that makes zMud better. Sadly though I have no interest in downloading your tool for myself, (I can't talk in any languages other then English and computer) but I would appreciate it being available for those that aren't as linguistically challenged as I am.
priit
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:44 am   

does it change zMUD itself permanently or is just another plugin?
is there possibility to translate it to different languages or something (create different language files)? right now there doesnt seem to be anywhere from what language you are translating to what language...

quote:
Originally posted by Vijilante

Wow. That looks pretty spiffy. I love anything that makes zMud better. Sadly though I have no interest in downloading your tool for myself, (I can't talk in any languages other then English and computer) but I would appreciate it being available for those that aren't as linguistically challenged as I am.

then you can try to translate from english to computer [^]
... or to some hax0r dialect [:p]
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:55 am   

quote:
Originally posted by priit

does it change zMUD itself permanently or is just another plugin?
is there possibility to translate it to different languages or something (create different language files)? right now there doesnt seem to be anywhere from what language you are translating to what language...

zMUD provides translation support in the form of a special file called "zmud.lng". What my program does is to open that file and display its contents. You can also load a reference file which is the standard english version of zMUD("zmud_english.lng"). Using those you can roughly see what has been translated in the file.

So this is not a plugin.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:06 am   

Wow, cool! Geez Rorso, I'm glad I peeked into the General forum late tonight. This tool should make the translation stuff a lot easier. It's probably the kind of thing I should have done myself originally, but it was just hard to justify a lot of work on something that few people seemed to be interested in. You are really one of the first people to get deep into the translation stuff.

I'm doing what I promised and have fixed many of the translation issues for the next version of zMUD. For one thing, it will no longer overwrite your file every time! Also, I've added translation for all of the windows and dialogs now, INCLUDING the new mapper. Also added mouse hint support as your requested.

So, once the next version is out, you'll probably want to tweak your program a bit. Once you have it working, if you'd like me to host it in the zMUD download area and give you credit and a link for your efforts, let me know. It might really encourage some additional translations.
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:45 pm   

Do upload the program, please.

Way back when translation was first introduced I started translating zMUD into Spanish. However, due to a hard drive crash, I lost the file, which was almost done. After that, I never did get started again.

A program like this might be just the motivation I need to start again. Smile
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:17 pm   

*prepares to translate Zmud into Klingon* Oh wait who am I kidding :P
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:48 pm   

Sorry that I haven't uploaded it earlier but I decided to write a new program from scratch. As I am both a newbie to .NET and to C++ this took a while Very Happy. I haven't had time to test it much yet so this is a very early test version. Actually in an earlier version of this one I managed to damage my entire translation of zMUD to swedish Sad.

It would be nice if someone tested it out some. I'm a bit uncertain if the load time is way too slow or not. It's actually loading in O(n^2) at the moment because of the detection of 'translated strings'. I have considered to add a hash table to speed up the file loading but the design of my ini library isn't very happy about that Very Happy.

You use this software at your own risk. Don't blame me if something goes wrong. This is extremely buggy software.

The file can be downloaded from: http://www.silverbridge.org/~varmel/zmud/translator.zip

How do you use it?

The first step is to create a project. File->New Project. From there you select what translation files to use. Then you should only need to click 'next' and the files will be copied to the project folder (each translation should have its own folder). Also remember to make a lot of backups and make them often.

Edit: If the program should crash during a save then look in the project folder after "translation.lng.bak" which is a backup that the program should make before each save of the translation.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:53 pm   

I found some bugs so I have uploaded a new version. It should also show comments for sections now.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:55 pm   

I have added update code to my translation tool so that it can get the latest strings automatically from new zmud_english.lng files. The issue I reached now is to decide if it also should remove strings. What if the new zmud_english.lng file doesn't have some sections as Zugg has removed them? As I can't seem to decide how this should work I would be interested to hear what others think. So please come with suggestions Smile.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:29 pm   

Finally reached version 1.05 beta Smile! I have now added more features and bug fixes. It won't include strings not in the reference file in the statistics now. According to the tool I have now translated 70% of zMUD to Swedish but as some strings are the same in both languages it might be a bit more.

The tool will now show suggestions on translations. That means that if you have translated "&File" before and you are translating it in a new property it will suggest the old translation. This makes it easier to avoid silly stuff like &File, F&ile, and so on. As the list is ordered after the most common translation the first suggestion in the list should be the one most likely to be used.

Also when creating a new project it will automatically attempt to detect what version of zMUD is installed, and location of the reference file.

If you are using the old version please download the new one. Some crash bugs have been fixed that weren't very fun Sad.
Xymog
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:33 pm   

This is totally cool, Rorso! Thank you for your hard work on the string table editor. I like seeing new things like this added to the zMUD universe.
M0lid3us
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:30 pm   

I have to download the .Net Framework to use this program?? I have downloaded it, but it doesn'start :

"Application not correctly inizialized"

There are some zMud "official" traslation ??? Where Can I download those translations??

thanks
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:55 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by M0lid3us

I have to download the .Net Framework to use this program?? I have downloaded it, but it doesn'start :

"Application not correctly inizialized"

There are some zMud "official" traslation ??? Where Can I download those translations??

thanks

The tool uses the .NET framework. You'll have to install .NET 1.1 for it to run. Which operating system are you using? Are you running an admin account or limited user?

As far as I know only a partial swedish translation is currently worked on (by me) but it is not any official translation. There might be others working on translations that haven't announced them though.

Please tell me if you get the tool to work. Else I might try to make an installation program for it to see if that corrects any problems. I have tested it on another machine though and there it works.
M0lid3us
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:32 pm   

Once i have downloaded the .NET Framework it works fine.

Many Thanks
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:14 pm   

For strings that are in your translation but no longer in the English reference you might want to simply display them on some tab and make the 'id' edittable there. I would guess that in most cases the string id just got renamed. Perhaps an option to compare versions of the reference file would be useful for finding strings with renamed id's.
JoKeR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:20 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Rorso
Please tell me if you get the tool to work. Else I might try to make an installation program for it to see if that corrects any problems. I have tested it on another machine though and there it works.

Hi Rorso!

Now i'm the reference for the Italian Translation, with the bless of Zugg... [|)]

I've some little problem with my old translation file (for 6.x)... if i fix it, now i have an 80% translation working ...otherwise... Sad

Congratulation for your amazing program! Wink

[:o)]
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:51 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by JoKeR

quote:
Originally posted by Rorso

Hi Rorso!

Now i'm the reference for the Italian Translation, with the bless of Zugg... [|)]

I've some little problem with my old translation file (for 6.x)... if i fix it, now i have an 80% translation working ...otherwise... Sad

Congratulation for your amazing program! Wink

[:o)]

What's the problem with the translation file? My tool should be able to merge a 6.x translation file with a 7.x reference file to output a 7.x partly translated translation file. Ok that sounded odd Smile. Remember to always take backups... I have made atleast 20 backups of my tool's source code so far.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:00 pm   

I have uploaded a new version of the translation tool. This time version 1.07 beta. This version let's you delete sections/properties. This is very experimental so be very careful, and take backups. To delete a section or property you select it and then press the 'delete' key on your keyboard.
Corleidum
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:22 pm   

Wow, this is awesome Rorso, gotta say I admire you for your hard work. Nicely done. tell me something though, you're pretty good with the english language, you just study English or have you been living somewhere outside of Sweden?
And btw, where can you download it from? *dumb*

nm Found it ;)
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:21 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Corleidum

Wow, this is awesome Rorso, gotta say I admire you for your hard work. Nicely done. tell me something though, you're pretty good with the english language, you just study English or have you been living somewhere outside of Sweden?
And btw, where can you download it from? *dumb*

nm Found it ;)

Well some parts of the swedish translation isn't very good Very Happy. Actually I am quite embarassed because of the poor quality some parts of it has. The main goal was to show that it is possible to translate zMUD as well as making a somewhat working translation that can (hopefully) be understood. This later caused me to realize that a tool was needed to easen the work when making a translation. Especially during a beta period where new strings are added quite often the need to be able to import the new strings are quite high.

I hope that more people will find it fun to make translations of zMUD into other languages. Will be fun to see the italian translation once it is released Smile

The swedish translation of zMUD can be found at http://www.silverbridge.org/~varmel/zmud
Corleidum
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:59 pm   

Hmm.. Alltså det fungerar ju inte.. försökte köra igång ingtranslator men får upp ett error meddelande.. Vet du varför? Ehm.. översättningen var lite konstig? ;) på svenska alltså....bra annar. smart dessutom
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:19 pm   

quote:

Hmm.. Alltså det fungerar ju inte.. försökte köra igång ingtranslator men får upp ett error meddelande.. Vet du varför? Ehm.. översättningen var lite konstig? ;) på svenska alltså....bra annar. smart dessutom

Du måste installera ".NET 1.1 framework" för att kunna köra programmet. (finns på Windows Update).

Du behöver inte programmet för att använda den svenska översättningen av zMUD. lngTranslator är bara ett hjälpmedel för att skriva en översättning. Eftersom att en svensk översättning redan finns så antar jag att det är den du försöker installera. För att installera den svenska översättningen behöver du bara kopiera in 'zmud.lng' till zMUD's katalog. För att få verktygsfältet översatt kopierat du över 'global.mud' till samma katalog.

To make it easier for the gurus to moderate this forum we should try to use english Smile. Here is a translation of my reply above.

You have to install the ".NET 1.1 framework" to run the program. (it's located on Windows Update).

You don't need the program to use the swedish translation of zMUD. lngTranslator is only a tool to easen the writing of a translation. As a translation to swedish already exists I assume you are trying to install it. To install the swedish translation you copy 'zmud.lng' into zMUD's folder. To get the toolbar translated you copy 'global.mud' to the same folder.
Corleidum
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:36 pm   

Heh ;) it's working good now. Well I am translating it to Swedish, you have done it quite good, but I just change a few things maybe :P and to German/france/spannish it will be done within the end of the week, so I can send it to you Rorso or anyone who would like to check if it's correctly translated ;)
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:47 pm   

quote:

Heh ;) it's working good now. Well I am translating it to Swedish, you have done it quite good, but I just change a few things maybe :P and to German/france/spannish it will be done within the end of the week, so I can send it to you Rorso or anyone who would like to check if it's correctly translated ;)

Remember that people have copyright on their translation. If you want to continue on someone's translation or change it you'll need their permission to do so. To make a translation takes a huge amount of time even if it is done quickly(there's around 4.000 properties after all). If I noticed people modify my translation and distributed it without my permission I would most likely shutdown the webpage containing the zMUD translation tool. It is never wrong to study others work and learn from it, but to take the already translated file and add on it without permission isn't that nice. You could write it from scratch though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: