Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
finubar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:51 am   

6.65a beta : trigger initiation errors

Heya, I've been working with ZMud for quite a while and am pretty aware of its ability to be quite tempramental and how far that extends, so I think the following is a bug.

I have a load of scripts I created in v6.62 and recently upgraded to 6.65a. Something's been screwing up because whenever I connect to a MUD , ZMUD begins spewing syntax error popups for the scripts it converted. It does this for every line of input it tries to parse. I know this happens because the popups don't come up when I load up a script set in offline mode.

I tried this twice and the same problem occurs, so it seems like a bug.

Is this a common bug in the new version? Anyone have a solution?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:45 am   

Umm, 6.65a is a BETA VERSION. So post to the BETA FORUM.
finubar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:06 am   

Umm yeah, Beta forum is kinda of RESTRICTED, which is really USEFUL, since a lot of people who may have useful beta input don't want to have to APPLY simply for the ability to POST it?
seamer
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:04 pm   

Applying is a matter of pressing a link. You're knowingly using a beta version, so you should knowingly join the beta testers too.

Makes it easy for everyone to see where the bugs are, this forum is for the public stable version.
finubar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:24 pm   

It also takes up to 48 hours to be accept (or denied) access to the developer's forum. I don't understand why the forums for the beta version are private and exclusive, whilst the beta build of zMud is publicly available. Not only that but the client offers to download it for you.

I have no problem working with buggy beta software, and I'm no stranger to helping to solve them... and that's all I was trying to do.

What's more is that many more people who aren't 'accepted' into the beta community may have upgraded to the beta version only to find they have the same problem, reverting back to 6.62. So the question is just as relevant to the public zMud community as it is to the beta community.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:10 pm   

What are we discussing here? The developer's forum, or the beta forum? Yes, the developer's forum is private and exclusive. The beta forum is not.

I believe the beta forum application and acceptance is still automatic and only requires an application because Zugg wants confirmation from the users that they understand the buggy nature of beta releases. Basically he's trying to scare away those users who lack the skillset needed to recover from buggy software and by doing so, save himself (a bit unsuccessfully) the headache of useless bug reports, nasty email, and even bug reports of beta software posted to the wrong forum.

Please don't be difficult. If you're helping debug a beta release, post in the appropriate forum. As Seamer stated, this forum is for the public release and the only person capable of helping you straighten out your settings is looking for beta bug reports in the beta forum.

All of those other users who have downloaded the beta and have problems should also post their bug reports to the beta forum, it's not just you.
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:19 pm   

Beta application is automatic. Once you apply, you are accepted and get access no matter what. It's more of a mechanism of making sure that people know what they are getting into. Plus, zMUD does not inform you of every beta version that is released.

The thing about having it in a separte forum is to try and keep things organized. We don't want to confuse users that don't run beta version that come into the General Forum. Plus, Zugg tends to read more posts in the Beta Forum than in the General Forum, so it ensures that your bug reports will appear along with other bug reports and will be noticed.

So basically, yeah, what mr_kent said. Smile
finubar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:50 am   

I wasn't aware there was a difference between the applications for beta or developer forums. Zugg still had no right to be a condescending ***** to a paying customer.
Cuttlefish
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:01 am   

Well, when you start out your post with zMUD's "ability to be quite tempramental", you're going to raise some hackles.

Let's just call it even and move on, shall we? Smile
finubar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:29 am   

I'm not exactly demeaning the product there... I'm just saying it takes some getting used to... And if you're using it hardcore there usually are one or two bugs you have to work around, but that's to be expected - I'm a developer myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: