Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mauzl
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:52 pm   

Ok, Serious mapping question

I've got a serious problem with the mapping system that has been bugging me for a while that I've sat down to try to fix just now.

Essentially, when a room's contents change the mapper likes to think that the description has changed, and creates a new room over the top of the current one or won't follow through it, hence losing where I am on the map.

Here is what I've tried to do to fix this:

1. Stop recording the description in the map database. It really doesn't need to be there anyway, to me. The problem this is creating is that the room name will will be taken from the last line of the description, not the proper room name instead. Grr. I want the room names so that the seek function works.

2. Stop recording name and description. This works, but I can't use the seek function so the functionality of the map is rather limited.

3. Attempted to use crazy triggers like %roomname( %roomnum( ), %1) with ansi color coding (the room name is ansi color coded) to solve the problem. The problem is that usually the mapper takes 2 seconds to up date the room so this makes mapping very slow as I have to wait and then verify that it worked, AND it still makes duplicates. GRR.

For those interested I'm doing this on Imperian which is identical to Achaea for all mapping purposes. Any advice on how to get around this would be very greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Leigh
Cuttlefish
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:37 pm   

I know this won't help much, but what I usually do is just turn on map creation when I'm exploring a new area and set it on follow mode when I'm walking around an area I've already mapped.

This is on Arm, where the room creators can optionally enter different day/night descriptions.
mauzl
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:59 am   

It doesn't really, no. I was hoping to leave it on so I know when a rooms exits have changed, that was the main point :)
Cuttlefish
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:51 pm   

Ah, well you didn't say that :p
Changing room exits, now that's just asking for trouble ;)
mauzl
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:13 pm   

Really though, its the easiest way to know when new things are added onto the mud and they don't tell you. If I can figure out a way to do this, it'd be excellent from an exploring perspective.

I explored everything on my mud 6 months ago, now I'm having difficulty finding new rooms as I have to compare every room to my map by hand. If there was a way to do this automatically, all the better :)
john_taylor_jr
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:46 pm   

Ok this is spammy but it just might work.
Use a trigger to capture just the exits
then use the describe command trigger just the exits part of that
then compare the two and have it beep every time they don't match.
That way you'll know when to get out of follow mode.
john_taylor_jr
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:51 pm   

Just had a better idea. If you're good with using the data base
every time you move to a room query the exit info
instead of having to use describe
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: