Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
undergod Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:05 am
ZMud and Linux?
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:35 am   

I think it runs a bit smoother with that "pit: realtime=1" option enabled, but need to figure out some other things like how to install the sound blaster drivers (I guess not that important) and how to install some better video drivers so that it's able to run in more than 640x480x16 colors hehe :)
mhollis
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:36 am   

yeah I'm allergic to that 640x480x16 -grin-
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:45 am   

Well, network drivers are working fine... I just brought up www.zuggsoft.com hehe, though I can't get the network neighbourhood up. I've got a meeting to go to now, so I won't get a chance to install Zmud but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Just gotta get outta 640x480 so it looks nice *grin*
mj_cole
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:46 pm   

That program is way cool.

For fun, I downloaded the windows version, and installed linux on it (the little that somes with it).

It worked real well :)
mhollis
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:51 pm   

Yeah I'm certainly enjoying it, though after I'm done installing I'm upgrading the virtual pc lol 12 hours later and I'm down to 7 minutes remaining on a windoes 98 install
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:48 pm   

heehee...you guys are real hard code! Wink I'll follow this thread with interest. If it's a way to do zMUD on Linux (or even Mac), there will be a lot of interested people.

And come to think of it, this would be ideal for me because this method should in theory support eLicense and would require Linux people to still actually register for zMUD. Smile

Of course, if zMUD runs 5 times slower because of the emulation, that won't be much help.
mhollis
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:33 am   

well so far I'm having speed problems, I can't find a good balance for the number of mips to emulate, it seems that the higher I set, the slower refresh on the screen, but the faster windows runs. I did however download the binary, I might be able to prod the source a bit and make better headway. I may be missing a setting somewhere, but I'm looking into it. Are you having the same problem Rain?

working with:
P4 1500
768MB
HD that isnt' big enough, ever
RedHat 9 (Shrike)
stock kernal 2.4.20-19.9
Xozes
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:41 am   

Actually.. many of us "Alternate OS implementors" hold up ALL copyrights, etc. I don't have a problem with paying for a particular piece of software, IF I actually *want* the software. I do not WANT windows, yet thousands of software companies require me to have it, just so I can have the priviledge of running their software. :)

Xozes
mhollis
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:46 am   

I'll agree with Xozes
mhollis
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:02 am   

Ok nevermind I found a way to specifically set the refresh by using the text config interface instead of the wx one that I was using, I'm about to increase the processer speed updates to follow
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:49 am   

My PC here at work is an AMD XP1800 with 256mb RAM. Hard drive similar. Using Windows XP as my OS, but I would expect that linux could run this better than windows anyway :)

For the emulated Win98 box speed I'm using -
vga_update_interval: 50000
ips: 1000000
pit: realtime=1

I find that it doesn't always respond to my double-clicks though.
Downloading Zmud at the moment into the emulated OS, I'll let you know how I go with installing it *grin*
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:04 am   

Zmud's installed and telling me I've gotta download the jet updates. I've increased my ips: setting to 3 million but it's still pretty slow navigating the OS. I'm also having problems with the networking... I'm getting good 'ping' times, except getting errors downloading files into the emulated PC and network errors trying to copy from my file server over the network neighbourhood. Got another meeting now so won't be able to play more until tomorrow.

My feeling is it will definately be possible to get Zmud running under the emulator, but I fear that it won't be an extremely viable option at the moment... don't think the video refresh speed is particularly good... but maybe its just a driver issue inside the emulated OS since it is only running 640x480x16 still.

Have you managed to get it out of that resolution yet?
mhollis
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:20 pm   

search a few sections above the ips in boschrc.txt there's a setting for vga something it's right above the keyboard settings, reducing that number will increase your screen refresh.

I don't think we're going to be able to shift resolutions without having a vga rom for our respective cards, it's just theory, but I think the vga bios is emulating "Standard VGA" which is limited if I remember right to 640x480x16.
mhollis
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:21 pm   

er nevermind I read the last reply first, I see you found the update interval
mhollis
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:25 pm   

-nods- I've been hovering around:
vga_update_interval: 50000
ips: 2000000
pit: realtime=1

though that seems to be the fastest and best refresh I can get
neep
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:06 am   

Who (if anyone) is trying it inside a linux distro? Looks like everyone so far that said which os their using is starting out in windows anyways... I'm at the school computer labs right now so I'll have to wait till tonight to try.... if anyone gets it working right it would be cool if you wrote a tutorial on it, since the provided documentation isn't for the faint of heart... I would but I'm better at writting works of fiction than instructions, and fiction isn't really what we need in a tutorial. (unless you work for micro$oft)

I'll post again if I have any success on my machine,
althlon xp 1600 512ram w/ mdk 9.1 latest kernel(the one ending in 25) and updates
this should be interesting
mhollis
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:47 am   

I was, but via quick decision I'm reinstalling XP tonight, I'll continue trying from windows, the results should be similar
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:13 pm   

This all seems to be a pretty similar solution to using VMWare, only that vmware is pretty expensive (now anyways, didnt used to be, which is why Im still updating, despite the increasing cost of that..) - vmware has Graphics drivers though, which means it does any resolution you please, and isnt that slow. (depending on your definition of slow, Im only running it on a PII/300 with 300MB ram, and find it slow, but not unusable..)

Anyfish, grats to the people trying.. There was/is (?) a freeware/OS version of vmware, any idea if that got anywhere usable?

Lady C.
Ledneh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:08 am   

Any luck here, running zMud with wine? I tried installing MDAC so I could run zMud (eLicense presented no problem, but zMud wouldn't start without all that DB stuff), and since installing MDAC required installing IE, I tried that. I got IE6 from the Microsoft site, installed it according to the directions at frankscorner.org, but when I went to install MDAC, it stopped in the middle, saying it couldn't complete the installation for some reason, more or less. :(

So any ideas?
palio
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:18 am   

Well just for my 2 cents worth I know a number of people that would love to see a linux version of zmud. I myself being one of them.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:21 am   

One day wine (or maybe we can coax winex into it) will be good enough to run 6.6x... when that day comes I'll switch to linux, until then I'm gonna stay on the windows wagon *grubmle*
larit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:06 pm   

Has anyone tried running it under plex86? Looks like it doesn't emulate the x86 instruction set so it will only run on an x86 but should be alot faster than bochs. Going to try it tomorrow and I'll let people know what happens.
fyrie
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:20 pm   

I read today that Delphi is being added to the list of .NET languages. *If* and that is a mighty big *if*, if Zugg should ever decide to overhaul his codebase, this would be a great way for him to get something going. Of course there still would be the issue of the e-license, and currently MONO (linux version of .NET) is kind of sketchy as to how they are going to impliment forms, but this should be ironed out relatively soon. Heck maybe the e-license company will have a .net componant that can be used in MONO.

Imagine the awesome things you could do when you combine MUDs with Xml and WebServices! Uh, wait, I can't think of any offhand :P
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:41 am   

Heh, what is it with everyone going on about ".NET is soooooo goooood"... it's just Microsoft's version of java. Wake up people. It's slow, crashy, and extremely crap. Maybe it's just the VB programmers I hear raving about it, since any upgrade to VB is obviously a good thing :P On the other hand C#.NET and C++.NET have taken a big step in a backward direction.

I'm sure the day will come that the .NET framework will become the operating system, but until then I don't want to see a Zmud.NET :P

On the other note "plex86" looks to only support Linux VM's, so you won't be able to install Windows and therefore won't be able to install Zmud.
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:49 am   

To remind people:
Someone did get it running (with MDAC an all), on Wine(x), or so they claimed, and wanted to write up a 'HOWTO', but I'm still waiting for that.. (My last attempt with WineX worked ok with 5.55->up to whichever version wanted MDAC, those wouldnt install.

Apparently you need to install IE somehow using crossover office, to get MDAC installed.. I havent even fonud a version of crossover office to use yet.. so..

Looked at plex86 only the other day, to discover they'd switched to just Linux VMs, what a shame.. (Linux on Linux, useful..)

Some day...

C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: