Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:11 am   

How does forum permission work now?

Darker, could you give a short explanation of how forum permissions work now? We used to have a table that gave the forum ID that each User ID was able to access. I remember this being done to avoid having the "member" field of the beta forum get too large. How did they do this in the new version?

I'm a bit concerned about requiring people to reapply to the forums and was wondering what the issues involved in migrating the old Permission table might be.

(testing edit post)
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:01 pm   

The smug punks over at Snitz copied my logic almost exactly. The only change was in the table name. I called mine "Permissions". They called theirs "Allowed Members". Punks. Razz

The logic is identical - this table stores forum_id & member_id and that determines access to the forum where they're by "Allowed Members"
If you look at the forum properties you can see the list of members allowed. The Beta and Dev Application forms have been updated to use the new table names and I tested them- they look like they're working.

quote:
Originally posted by Zugg

Darker, could you give a short explanation of how forum permissions work now? We used to have a table that gave the forum ID that each User ID was able to access. I remember this being done to avoid having the "member" field of the beta forum get too large. How did they do this in the new version?

I'm a bit concerned about requiring people to reapply to the forums and was wondering what the issues involved in migrating the old Permission table might be.

(testing edit post)

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:07 pm   

So if it's implemented the same way, isn't there an easy way to copy over the data from the old table into the new table so that the previous permissions are retained?

I'd like to avoid the swamp of email approvals for the Dev forum if that can be avoided. Also, since we don't link to the application forum on the "denial" error page, it's just confusing for people and is causing some support email for us.
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:39 pm   

*SMACK*
This is the sound of the palm of my hand hitting my forehead.
Of course that would be easy. That's why I never thought of it.

I'll do it tonight.

quote:
Originally posted by Zugg

So if it's implemented the same way, isn't there an easy way to copy over the data from the old table into the new table so that the previous permissions are retained?

I'd like to avoid the swamp of email approvals for the Dev forum if that can be avoided. Also, since we don't link to the application forum on the "denial" error page, it's just confusing for people and is causing some support email for us.

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:51 pm   

Cool, thanks Smile
(Don't worry, I smack myself on the had all the time)
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:09 pm   

These are restored. The Guru & Forum forums look ok. The Beta Forum looks like it got a lot of people, but I saw empty lines in the list too. Not sure why they're empty. Or that it'll hurt anything.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:17 pm   

Yeah, I see empty lines in the Developer's Forum also. Wierd. I don't know why they still choose to manage forum access from the forum list rather than the member profile like you used to do. Makes the forum properties take a long time to load and doesn't make it very scaleable for a large number of users.

Perhaps the blanks are from names that are too long to fit in the list box? Just an idea. Although I don't see any blanks in the full list of users on the left.
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:08 pm   

I think the blanks have something to do with the javascript that moves things from one column to the other, but I don't know without looking really closely at what the form submits after the JS is done.
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:25 pm   

Well, the blank options do have some Member_ID's and the number of the blank options do not appear in the listbox for Available members. Some of the ID's that are blank are: 24, 29, 40, 48, 52, 57, 63, 72, 79, 81, 84, 91, and many others. Perhaps these records are blank or there is something special about them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Website or Forum problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: