Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Arphaxad
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:01 pm   

[6.40] Capturing Tells

Since upgrading, my script no longer captures tells as it did in 6.16. In troubleshooting I've noted some odd behavior:
  • It will capture tells that are only one line if I send them (You tell blah blah).
  • It will not capture tells of one or more lines if sent by someone else (Blah tells you blah blah).
  • It will capture all tells if emulated with the #show command.
To expand on the second bit of odd behavior, the script *seems* to miss the tell and only catches the prompt following the tell. Here is the simplified code/psuedo-code:

#alias Catchtell {#t- Tell_class;#capture Tells;#c+ Tells;#t+ EndTells} General
#trigger {You tell|tells you} {#color @tell_color;catchtell;#beep} Tell_class
#trigger {*>} {#c-;#t+ Tell_Class;#t- EndTells} EndTells

Basically, the trigger looks for the tell pattern, changes the color to highlight and beeps. The alias turns off the tell trigger, captures the first line of the tell and begins capturing to the 'Tells' window. The '>' is my prompt character. The trigger looks for the prompt and stops capturing text to the 'Tells' window.
That's about it, any idea what would cause this kind of behavior? This used to work fine and dandy in 6.16. Alas, no longer.

Thanks for the help,
Arphaxad
megamog75
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:12 pm   

In the trigger options have you checked to see if you have the prompt box checked?

megamog75
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:31 pm   

Try it without the alias. The actual problem is the string-list in your pattern, it needs its own set of braces around it. The first set just identifies it as the pattern, not as a stringlist. Don't forget to change to a prompt-type trigger when triggering on your prompt (unless it ends with a newline).

#TR {{You tell|tells you}} {#COLOR @tell_color;#BEEP;#CAP Tells;#C+ Tells;#T+ EndTells} Tell_class
#TR {*>} {#C-;#T- EndTells} EndTells {nocr|prompt}

LightBulb
Arphaxad
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:50 am   

Thanks for the quick replies!
I use an alias since I call it in other places within the script as well. I've tried it without the alias and get the same behavior. I've tested the triggers using the one/both/neither newline and prompt options. I don't think the issue is with the curly braces, the triggers worked well in 6.16, and they fire in 6.40 but don't capture. My fault for putting it down wrong (I usually do all my creation in the settings editor).
The triggers fire but I am only getting the next prompt on the tell window, except in the case when I send a one line tell. It seems like the trigger fires just fine but is *slow* on executing the alias, sending only the ending prompt to the tell window.
Any other ideas, other than going back to 6.16? I like the improvements that were made especially with the mapper.

Thanks again,
Arphaxad
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:14 am   

The curly braces DO matter. As I said before, they are the actual problem.

#alias Catchtell {#t- Tell_class;#capture Tells;#c+ Tells;#t+ EndTells} General
#trigger {{You tell|tells you}} {#color @tell_color;catchtell;#beep} Tell_class
#trigger {*>} {#c-;#t+ Tell_Class;#t- EndTells} EndTells

LightBulb
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:40 pm   

Another possibility is the placement of the #CAPTURE command in your ALIAS, instead of the TRIGGER. Your TRIGGER already covers all the times when someone "tells you" and all the times when "You tell" someone else. I can't imagine when else you'd need an ALIAS that CAPTUREs to the Tells window, but even if you do you could still try the TRIGGER I suggested. The ALIAS will still exist for the other portions of your script, even if you don't use it for this one.

LightBulb
Arphaxad
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:52 am   

LightBulb thanks for all the input.
I tried it without the alias in the trigger and got the same results. The curly braces issue is resolved, it was my fault for posting it incorrectly.
Is anyone else having any strange behavior with #capture, #c+ , or #c- in the upgrade to 6.40. The curious thing is that the triggers and alias work just fine when I test them using the #show command. Is information sent via #show parsed differently or sooner than actual MUD output?

Grateful for your time,
Arphaxad
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:03 am   

Since you are capturing the prompt, it would seem that capturing is being turned on and off. Any chance you have a gag affecting this? In particular, is there any chance your password is in the missing lines and "gag password" is affecting it? How about Capture Commands in Preferences/Script Parser, do you have that on?

Grasping at straws, I know, but I can't find anything wrong with the script and similar ones work well for me. Anyone else have any ideas?

LightBulb
Arphaxad
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:23 am   

I hear ya, I've been grasping at straws for a while myself. I have the gag password turned off along with capture commands, in fact I have all of the options on the left side unchecked/off. I only use one #gag statement and that is for a status line sent by the MUD. I'll keep working with it, I'd think it was a setting or option but why will the darn thing work with #show only?!?!

Thanks for the effort!
Arphaxad
Arphaxad
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:59 am   

Alright, I've done some more testing. I seem to be having problems with the #c+ Windowname and #c- commands. I get the 'Capture text ON/Off' messages but nothing is being sent to the named window. I've tested this in a number of situations with no luck. #Capture Windowname works thus far in my tests. Is anyone else having this or similar problems? Should I post this in the Beta forum or send it to Zugg as a bug?

Thanks,
Arphaxad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: