Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Spiffy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:55 pm   

6.40 Mapper speed

Hrm. Figure I might as well ask..

I have two computers. One P4 1.8GHz with 768 Mbytes of RAM, running win2k. Clean install, about three days old now. (MDAC 2.5 and 2.7 downloaded and installed). Takes approximately 7 seconds to launch the mapper.

My second computer is a P2 266MHz with 192 Mbytes of RAM, win98 SE. Also formatted and reinstalled, four days ago. MDAC updates installed on this computer as well. Opening the mapper takes 26 seconds, timed it just now.

Both times I closed any applications except for zMUD itself.

Should it take this long? Is there anything I can do to speed it up? I heard someone mention a Jet update..?
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:05 pm   

Yes, try looking for an update to the Jet drivers too.

Kjata
Spiffy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:00 pm   

Well, what exactly are they? Been poking around this site without founding anything specific regarding them, other than a few posts in the forums saying updating them might help.
(I know next to nothing about Jet, SQL and whatnot, I don't even have a clue what I'd be looking for).

And also.. the question sort of got lost in the last post, but I'd like to hear from everyone how long it takes for you to open the mapper.
Absinthe
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:50 pm   

The Jet update was on Windows Update under recommended updates. I'm running Windows XP Pro and Office 2000. If you have something different it might not show up. A search on Microsoft's site for Jet Update came up with the download location: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;172733&
I don't know if that's the same one though.

As far as loading time, it takes about 5 seconds or so to load a map on my machine ( Athlon 950, 384 megs of ram, XP Pro )
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:38 pm   

Well, loading a map depends on the size of the map. Loading a blank map takes less than half a second for me while loading a map I have with 10669 rooms takes about 6.5 seconds. This is with P4 1.4Ghz, 256MB RAM, runnin WinXP Pro, MDAC version 2.7.

Kjata
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: