Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2
Zugg Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:38 pm
zMUD v6.40 PUBLIC VERSION available!
IceChild
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:43 am   

quote:
While this would be nice... it's not practical. I'll settle for a land with no eLicense. Use something else that's less of a hassle for paying customers. I'm sure SOMETHING out there must do the job as effectively and not be such a PITA.

I'd like to see you find a solution that does what eLicense does without the "PITA" as you put it. I've searched, ask many many developers out there, and found no reasonable alternative.

Though, by all means, if you can show one, I'd be more than interested in hearing it.

quote:
What do we want? Software that doesn't make it feel like we're being penalized when it has to be reinstalled. NONE of my other paid shareware has this problem. Some may nag a bit, but that's to be expected. eLicense goes well beyond nagging. It also has a nasty repuation for not uninstalling itself when told to. Only type of software protection I've ever had that forces me to keep renewing itself too.

How many of your other pieces of software are only $25 or less? And how many of them are produced by a SINGLE person?

Sure, as Zugg himself has even admitted, he COULD write his own protection, but that would require so much effort to keep uptodate and not have people cracking his software that the only thing we would see as far as "feature advancement" would be more protection algorythms, and no new features to actually use.

It's all a matter of figureing out how much work it's worth, and when you come down to it, it's MUCH easier to trust in a company such as eLicense to do the job for you. When it's cracked, it's THEIR problem to fix, not yours. And they have teams of people able to work on such projects, unlike Zugg who is but 1 person.

Being a small development company, and trying to make a living off of it, is not an easy thing.... So you have to make decisions, and trust that they are for the best. 97% of registered zMUD users don't appear to have an issue with it. And the other 3% (being generous here with the 3%, my personal belief is it's more like 1% if that) will either learn to cope, or they'll find something that more suits their taste. That's the joys of having competition.

Icechild
Samson
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:04 am   

I'm inclined to believe it's larger than 1-3% personally. Mainly because most of those who are unhappy don't post because the feel it won't help. I'm of the same opinion, but had to vent anyway. At least I feel better for having done it. Still not happy with the result. But that's what's cool about living in America I guess.
seamer
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:10 am   

quote:

I'm inclined to believe it's larger than 1-3% personally. Mainly because most of those who are unhappy don't post because the feel it won't help. I'm of the same opinion, but had to vent anyway. At least I feel better for having done it. Still not happy with the result. But that's what's cool about living in America I guess.

Lets have a competition to see who can be most offensive! Being American lets you be a rude arrogant dip? Glad I'm proudly Australian then :)

Why oh WHY did I have pass door on...
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:27 pm   

Actually, considering there's been around 3000 downloads of 6.40 in the last few days, and only a very small number of people (less than 30) have been complaining about 'the elicense problem', I'd hafta say there's less than 1%... probably more like 0.5% or below of people suffering from this so called 'affliction'.

Personally, I think it's all just a myth

Now let's all stop being silly, and start having a merry zmudding christmas.
-- Rainchild
blade
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:49 am   

Couldn't agree with you more RainChild. I personally feel it is a myth as well. I would also like to point out that just about everyone that has ever complained about eLicense has admitted to having a 'hacked copy of zMud' but still has a legit id. Now not that it would hold true to all individuals out there. But one can assume if you have a 'cracked copy of zMud' you also have other 'cracked software' as well. Ever stop to think that may be that is your problem. I know for a fact that 'cracked software' causes all sorts of bugs. I would also like to point out one other small fact. If eLicense could be just uninstalled without all the hassle that I hear it takes, well it wouldn't be protecting the software it is for very well would it?
dkrazy74

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:02 am   

1. product and customer service how would these rate. i'm a first time visitor but i have to say i am very impressed with the relationship zugg has with people that support his work. Although it may not always be on a "one on one" basis, it shows through his conduct and reaction. If there is a problem, he guarentees to solve it and respond in a timely mannor. If people complain about problems they are having, he encourages people post those problems. He wants to hear about them. (having the authority to delete foul responses in his forum, he does not). people speak highly of him and he is respected for his effort and knowledge and creation of a great program. That is all that matters. To be able to create and be happy and have people support what you are doing. That is what it is all about. Without originality we'd all be on horses. Do your thing zugg.

dkrazy74
Austerity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:50 pm   

My e-license problem finally just resolved itself. I got screwed up during the 6.4 update (and I'm using all 3 licenses right now, so I couldn't just use an extra), but I just tried unlicensing and relicensing now and it worked mystically. Still, even if you were screwed up you have the 30 day trial to figure things out and get it working.

I'm happy to say I was miffed, but things are fixed. Oh, and I did register back when the current zmud version wasn't all that much more stable or useful than the freeware version, so some people on occasion to offer recompense for "no good reason" ;)

D. Austerity N.
"Today is the grandopening of our eleventh in the past 7 years beta phase of development!"
ShadowDrakken
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:31 am   

first, to IceChild: I sincerely agree with your opinion of the WindowsXP registration, as a developer myself, I've had to actvate by phone twice now... unfortunately, not only is this a serious hassle, but Microsoft will only allow 12 activations before forcing you to buy a new copy! at least if eLicence gets botched, you can get it corrected an unlimited number of times

as far as the quality and annoyance of eLicence is concerned... i've found it to be excellent quality and have had no problems with it... I've been using zMUD since it was freeware, when the mapper was added as a shareware version, I stuck to the free version, and when all of zMUD moved to shareware, I eventually bought it (there were a few versions so unstable I couldn't bring myself to buy it right away)... as of now, my only major problesm are not with eLicence, but with zMUD itself... and its only 1, known, problem that I run into... the mapper loves to crash zMUD if you don't treat it just so =^_^=

eLicense protect MY investment, and helps to get zMUD fixed as versions progress. 6.40 is leagues above previous versions for stability, but it wouldn't have gotten here if not for eLicense providing the protection that allows Zuggsoft to continue to grow and profit

if they get zMapper where I can dock it into zMUD just like the automapper (in fact, as a full alternative to the automapper would be ideal ;) I'll purchase that and be happy with my eLicense as well
Evangelist
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:16 am   

Seriously, on the e-liscence thing. Never had a problem with it. I don't mind entering a code in if I have to, or taking a few seconds to update the liscence, it's not like it takes a rocket scientist to do (but may take one to get around, I hope everyone who tries fails miserably and stubs their pinky finger MUHAHAH!) Anyway, I have had no problem. The 3 or 4 times I e-mailed e-liscence, I received an email back in like 36 hours, when I emailed Chiara about my registration code it was little over a day. If you have problems, buy a legal version, and watch all your problems float away...

Evangelist/Pernius
www.phidar.com/phidar.html
iljhar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:46 am   

Okay, I think this thread has gone on long enough and both sides of the elicense argument have been brought up. If you have any other problems with elicense, start a new thread as well as emailing support@elicense.com

Iljhar
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: