Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
QuartetmanIA
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:48 am   

Corrupted Settings File

After finding that version 6.39a fails on me, I downloaded 6.16 again (because the copy of Zmud) doesn't bring up my old 6.16 version. Now when I click on a mud from the list, i get CORRUPTED SETTINGS FILE c:ZMUD616default.mud error. I click OK and am able to enter the game, but this is annoying. Can this be fixed somehow?

Thank you.

QuartetmanIA
QuartetmanIA
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:49 am   

Oh.. One other thing... the autologin script puts #CH in for my Name. Never did that before. It always worked.

QuartetmanIA
QuartetmanIA
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:54 am   

It's getting worse... after I enter my name, the password prompt comes up and it goes into a loop with a password being supplied by Zmud of #PW;#T- autolog

Help!

QuartetmanIA
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:11 am   

Follow the Corrupted Settings File procedures (check the Support Library FAQs).

Check your preferences. #CH, #PW, and #T- are all commands and they obviously aren't getting parsed, so check your command character (special characters).

LightBulb
QuartetmanIA
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:19 am   

There is no Corrupted Settings topic in Zmud FAQ.

QuartetmanIA
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:13 am   

There aren't?

Q: zMUD gives me a General Protection Fault (GPF) error
Q: zMUD gives me an access violation error[/black

This is probably a bug in zMUD. It's Window's general way of saying that zMUD just messed with memory it shouldn't have. For me to fix this, you must send me the location of the GPF or access violation that is displayed in the error box, a general description of what you were doing that lead to the error, and the version of zMUD you are using. Please be as specific and as detailed as possible.

Or, you may have a [url="http://www.zuggsoft.com/zmud/faq.htm#Q: zMUD hangs as soon as I connect to a MUD character"]corrupted settings file[/url].

Q: zMUD hangs as soon as I connect to a MUD character

You probably have a corrupted MUD settings file. It is actually easy for files to get corrupted, especially in earlier versions of zMUD. Saving your settings after getting an Access Violation error is the most common way for this to happen. However, not all is lost.

1. First, find the *.MUD file for your character. It is usually in the folder for the MUD you are playing.
2. Rename this MUD file to something else.
3. Run zMUD again and connect to your character Offline. This allows zMUD to create a new, blank MUD file for your character.
4. Select the Import/Settings command from the Settings menu, and when prompted for a filename, select your old MUD file that you renamed. You should be able to import your aliases, triggers, etc, from your old file.
5. When you have recovered your settings, don't forget to save them with the Settings/Save menu command.

LightBulb
QuartetmanIA
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:13 pm   

I followed the directions exactly for renaming my *zmud file, but when I went to my COPY of ZMUD file I was told to create, the character file for the mud wasn't there. So I found it in a Zmud616 folder. Renamed it, imported it and I'm still getting CORRUPTED SETTINGS FILE c:ZMUD616default.mud error. Clicking okay on that, I go into my mud, but nothing works.. not even the directional keys (on keypad) that I use to go n, s, e, w, u, d or LOOK.

I wish I had never downloaded the beta version, but very often when I get on Zmud, I get a prompt box to download the current beta version. Why is that constantly being offered if the beta version doesn't work. But mostly, my problem is that 6.16 gets screwed up and now I can't MUD with either version.

There must be a better way to download a beta to check it out and then switch back to the stable 6.16 (my opinion) version without having to rename files.

Now what do I do to correct this mess?

Thanks

QuartetmanIA
Jaerin
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:23 pm   

There is...install it to different directory, but most importantly.

MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR SETTINGS FILE.

Zugg tells us this constantly in the beta forum. It is very possible that there is corruption in your settings file. It could have been there for a long time, but never caused a problem in 6.16. Upgrading to 6.39a may very well cause your corrupted file to break. This is no fault of the beta. So always have backups of your settings file.

Jaerin
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:17 pm   

From the error message, you can see that it is not your .MUD file that is corrupted but the default.mud file. This file is shared by all characters as it contains some basic settings that all of zMUD uses.

A clean re-install should solve your problems. Backup your files (basically anything unside the folder with the name of your MUD and any chardb*.* file) and then unistall zMUD. Delete any remaining files in the zMUD directory and reinstall zMUD). If you didn't have too many characters, recreate them and associate each with their respective .MUD file. If you had too many files you may copy the chardb*.* files you made a backup of which should contain all of your characters. However, just to be safe, it is advisable that you recreate the characters if you can.

Kjata
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:41 am   

As for the prompt box (dialog window) that informs you of new releases, there's a checkbox down at the bottom left corner which says something like, "Notify me of BETA releases". The next time you get that dialog window , UNCHECK that box.

LightBulb
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: