Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Madamegato
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 6:22 am   

Triggers/settings-vanished! HELP!

Sometimes we wonder what hand has been dealt to us for the night...this is one of those times.

I use Zmud 6.16. Earlier tonight, when trying to put a few new triggers in place, Zmud kept crashing the entire computer. Even when I would end task of all that I could, only running Zmud (and the other nessecary things...), it would crash.

At one point, I put in a trigger (frustrated and not thinking as you will see) that triggered off of the value in the value box, thus creating a continual trigger that executed right upon logging onto the mud.

So, attempting to get onto the mud to at least log off my character, I took the entire folder for that mud out of the Zmud folder. Got on, logged off. Realized, well, I will have to try and stop the triggers somehow.

So, I put the folder for the particular mud back into the Zmud folder. Mind you, I had deleted nothing and noticed that no *new* folder had been created.

Suddenly, my triggers are gone, as well as everything within. When I sign onto the mud, even the colors are different and it will not auto log any of the characters as it used to.

I made a new character to see if it would autolog, and it did. Only for that character. Looking into the trigger window, the only things there are just the two initial folders when you install.

I have tried messing with the settings.dok, tried renaming the global.mud (which, by the way, Zmud did *not* recreate), and it's to no avail. I have no idea what I did, or how to fix it.

Looking in the .ini file, I can see the change I made to the amount of history to keep, so from just first glance, it all looks to be fine, but it almost seems like Zmud is not seeing the folder for my mud.

Can someone **please** direct me on where to go? I am absolutely at my wits end.

Thank you so much for any help,
M.

Oh, and reassociating the files with the characters...tried it, still no dice.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:21 am   

quote:

Sometimes we wonder what hand has been dealt to us for the night...this is one of those times.

I use Zmud 6.16. Earlier tonight, when trying to put a few new triggers in place, Zmud kept crashing the entire computer. Even when I would end task of all that I could, only running Zmud (and the other nessecary things...), it would crash.

At one point, I put in a trigger (frustrated and not thinking as you will see) that triggered off of the value in the value box, thus creating a continual trigger that executed right upon logging onto the mud.

So, attempting to get onto the mud to at least log off my character, I took the entire folder for that mud out of the Zmud folder. Got on, logged off. Realized, well, I will have to try and stop the triggers somehow.

So, I put the folder for the particular mud back into the Zmud folder. Mind you, I had deleted nothing and noticed that no *new* folder had been created.

Suddenly, my triggers are gone, as well as everything within. When I sign onto the mud, even the colors are different and it will not auto log any of the characters as it used to.

I made a new character to see if it would autolog, and it did. Only for that character. Looking into the trigger window, the only things there are just the two initial folders when you install.

I have tried messing with the settings.dok, tried renaming the global.mud (which, by the way, Zmud did *not* recreate), and it's to no avail. I have no idea what I did, or how to fix it.

Looking in the .ini file, I can see the change I made to the amount of history to keep, so from just first glance, it all looks to be fine, but it almost seems like Zmud is not seeing the folder for my mud.

Can someone **please** direct me on where to go? I am absolutely at my wits end.

Thank you so much for any help,
M.

Oh, and reassociating the files with the characters...tried it, still no dice.

Did the settings just disappear but still fire or do any of them not work anymore (thus suggesting they were deleted or the file was overwritten)? Since ZMud uses the SAME default name for settings files for all characters that connect to the SAME mud, it's very possible that the new file got saved over the old one. If that's truly the case, all that can save you from redoing everything is to have a backup.

A backup can be the original file saved to a different location (like the desktop), or it could be an *_bak.mud file in the particular ZMud folder containing that character's mudfiles (ie, dgate_bak.mud).

If the settings are still there and simply can't be seen in the Settings Editor, try deleting the ZMud.ini file.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:14 pm   

From the character selection screen, select the new character and go to Edit. Select the Files tab and check the Subfolder, Primary, and Inherited entries. Close using Cancel, then select the old character, Edit, and go to the Files tab. The Subfolder and Inherited entries should be the same as the new character's. However, the Subfolder entry may have been removed when zMUD couldn't find it (because you had removed the folder).

In order to have different settings files, the Primary will need to be different. If you had previously changed the name, you can browse (click the folder icon at the end of the field) to find the old settings file. If you used the default filename before, then it was almost certainly overwritten when you created the new character.

LightBulb
Micromancer
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:21 pm   

The easiest thing to do is create separate connect icons for each character. I am known for having 20+ characters (on a mud that allowed trading) and the only way to keep the settings straight is separate settings files as mentioned before. Mean time, all is not lost. if you didn't delete the files, then when you create the new person, dont choose that file. Instead import it and save it as the characters name. This way you will have separate settings for each, none will be lost.

Now, to answer the initial problem: At the character icon screen there is a row of buttons. First one is Connect, second is Offline. Offline loads the character, its layout and settings, but does not connect to the mud. This allows you to delete any 'Triggers gone Wild' without risking zMUD flodding out or the machine locking up. Once the trigger is gone, you can File, Connect and it will automatically open a connection to the address associated with the character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: