Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Micromancer
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:11 am   

Multiple Status Windows

I am playing a game called Galactic Empire hosted on an MBBS system. I have spent the last 10 hours converting the status window into something of a GE Terminal program. What I am lacking is the space to add another half page of data. Is there any way to have multiple separate dockable status windows? I would like to run a thin banner across the top, and a wide right margin.

For an example of where I am now with the project, http://micromancer.midtnn.net/geterm.jpg
will give you an idea of what the deal is.

Thanks,
Micromancer
Daniel
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:40 am   

Hi Micromancer,

I do not know of the posibility to use a 2nd status window but I use instead of a status windows BUTTONS that have @vars in the description, this way I have a display of informations and at the same time can use the buttons to issue commands related to that info, btw, buttons can be arranged left,right, top, bottom of the output window, which is rather nice :)

Hope this helps

Daniel
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:09 pm   

Well, you can simulate another status window for example:

#WINDOW TEST

:TEST:#CLR
:TEST:#SAY %ansi(green,bold)Some Information: %ansi(yellow)1,234
:TEST:#SAY %ansi(green,bold)More Information: %ansi(red,bold)76,543

You'll need to make sure your focus character is enabled under special characters. I've used the ':', but you should be able to use whatever you like.

It mightn't be the most efficient way, but it'd work if that was what you were looking for.

Just call the #WINDOW command once, and it should keep that window in your layout until you close it (if I remember right :))

Hope that helps,
-- Rainchild

BTW nice work on the status window, looks impressive :)
Micromancer
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:34 pm   

I hadn't even thought of the command button idea, that sounds VERY promising.

Thanks for the compliment on the Status Window ... was a long time of reading help files to get the colors to work.

I always rebelled at the radical interface updates (5.+ from 4.6~ and then after a year of 5 being out and I started using it 6 came out and I was lost again.) I'm glad I took the time to acclimatize myself with 6+ this is turning out to be a worthwhile investment.
seamer
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 12:04 am   

About the #stw, are you able to use that layout with multiple characters at the same time? I use a similar panel, but my window tabs disappear and go missing indiscriminately when I load different characters (generally the #stw is left blank, fine by me).
Different characters/settings, cant share the same layout file...RRR!

on a side note, missile is mispelt, you've got "Missle"...go fix go fix ;)

Why oh WHY did I have pass door on...
Micromancer
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:31 pm   

I updated the link above to show the new layout with the buttons being used to perform dual tasks. Not only do they display an individual inventory item, but I have the button set to top off or sell overflow of each item individually. To give you an idea of what the status window took, this is the text I had to get the info from:

UD1:Micromancer,2,69,2,0*
UD2:44520,2056677,0*
SD1:Idontevenknowher,10*
SD2:193,0,0,0,5044,4787,0,15383*
SD3:100,10,0,-1,10,1,140,0,0,0,0,11*
SD4:T0:255-0,T1:255-0,T2:255-0,*
SD5:M0:255-0,M1:255-0,M2:255-0,*
SD6:I0:0,I1:0,I2:40,I3:0,I4:5,I5:0,I6:0,I7:40,I8:0,I9:0,I10:0,I11:0,I12:0,I13:0,*
SD7:0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1*

Fortunately, I have the .doc that explains what each one is but I had to write 1/0 to english translating triggers for the majority of the items. So far, Im ecstatic. Hopefully, I will be able to finish my exploring feature which will snake through the galaxy, stop in sectors with planets and save their statistics to a database. I have the DB working, its just been hard going.

One thing though, I have been having serious problems getting my layout to be stable. Sometimes it saves, most times it says layout file corrupt and everything winds up out of whack. Sometimes the bottom row of buttons is above the command line, sometimes its below.

P.S. Missile typos: Fixed everywhere you can see. (that's right, I left the variable names wrong)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: