Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 5:37 am   

Klez virus alert

Well, we've now hit the point where 9 out of 10 emails sent to zuggsoft.com are virus files or spam. This is really getting out of hand.

So, I've said this before, and I'm going to say it again: GO UPDATE YOUR VIRUS CHECKER!!!! If you don't run a virus checker, START NOW. I like to recommend FSecure at www.fsecure.com because updates are always free, and it's important to update your virus checker at least once a week or so.

Anyway, this latest KLEZ virus is *very* annoying. When you get infected, it starts sending emails to people in your address book, as with normal viruses. However, the difference this time is that it also "spoofs" the outgoing email with a different email address.

This means that the address you get the Klex virus from isn't necessarily the address that the email really came from. You need to inspect the email headers to really trace the message.

This also means that if you get an email from zuggsoft.com with the virus in it, it probably didn't come from us. So, please don't send us email claiming that we sent you a virus...we didn't. We run up-to-date virus scanners on all of our systems, so the chance of us sending a virus is very slim. What happened is that someone else had the virus, and when the virus sent itself to you, it changed the reply address to make it look like it came from zuggsoft.com.

I don't know what I'm going to do about this continued virus mess. I've already got a list of about 100 addresses/domains that we completely block email from. And yet, 9 out of 10 emails are still viruses or spam. One of these days I may just have to dump the support@zuggsoft.com and zugg@zuggsoft.com email addresses and get something else. But I really hate to do that...just makes it that much harder for real customers to contact us.

If EVERYONE would run a virus checker, we wouldn't have this problem! I'm sure I'm already talking to the converted and that everyone reading this message is already running a virus checker. But if you aren't, DO IT NOW! There is no excuse.

Oh, for more info on Klez, go to http://www.fsecure.com/v-descs/klez_h.shtml

Lirril
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 3:17 pm   

Not sure if anyone has a product that actually does this, but it would be cool if there was one that periodically checked your email and replied to each email address (only once), mentioning that it's an automatic message and that to really contact the owner of the mailbox, mail some different address instead.

The idea is to allow people to change their email addresses.

Wah
- Lir
Toetag
Magician

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 4:20 pm   

McAfee updated their DAT files last week twice.

They are now up to 4201 of their virus definition.

And Lirril, depending on what virus package the mail server is using, the server should detect, clean/quarrantine and notify the sender and recipient of the virus attached.

We go one step further at my company and use a screening software before our mail gateway that looks for specific attachment types, then it goes to the mail server for virus detections. No VBS scripts getting in our company. (our screening software even has a virus detection system as well).

Killing a fly on a friends forhead may not be overkill, use a hatchet to make sure the job is done.
Lirril
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 11:13 am   

What I was actually suggesting is a piece of software that users could utilise, which would allow them to change email addresses (if the old one gets on too many spammers lists) by replying to mails sent asking the senders to resend to the user's new address.

Wah
- Lir
Rainstorm

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:52 am   

www.grisoft.com A great virus scanner and its free!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: