Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Manx
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 2:50 pm   

HTTP Proxy

Has anyone gotten the WWW proxy to work? The only proxy server that is running on my school network is a web proxy. Any suggestions?

Manx
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 9:28 pm   

The WWW proxy setting in zMUD is *only* used for HTTP fetches, like the current version, MSP sounds, web pages, etc. It is not used for the main Telnet MUD session. You *cannot* use a WWW-only proxy for playing MUDs. Your proxy needs to either have SOCKS support or a specific Telnet proxy option.

Manx
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 10:36 pm   

I figured thats what the WWW proxy was for.

I thought that it wasn't possible but then I found out that AOL Instant Messanger has the ability to use HTTP proxy to establish a persistant connection to its servers. It seems that if they can do this, then zMUD could too. Am I wrong? (not questioning your knowledge, just curious)

Manx
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 1:30 am   

quote:

It seems that if they can do this, then zMUD could too. Am I wrong? (not questioning your knowledge, just curious)

I don't know the details of their (AOL's)protocol, but they probably define it terms of http requests and responses. There are several tunnel/proxy packages out there that allow you to 'tunnel' out through an http link, but you generally need to control an intermediate server so that what you're connecting to just sees a straight telnet connection. (AOL can cheat because they wrote the software on the server too.)

-Tarn
Manx
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 1:34 am   

You know what, I should have thought of that. That makes perfect sense now that you say it. Thanks for the reply.

Manx
Soda

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 6:01 am   

How about when only SSH is allowed? My school will be banning all telnet connections to its servers pretty soon, and I would like to continue use zMud to connect to them.

and if that's not possible through zMud settings, are there software out there that makes this possible?

btw, I asked a similar question last week, and the next day that thread got deleted, along with my forum account :( Was that a software glitch, or is this not the appropriate place to ask such questions? (my apologies to the moderator if that's the case).
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 7:10 am   

You'll just need a SSH server outside of
your school which allows outgoing telnet
to bounce off of.

Concept:
Connect a port forwarding SSH client to that
server.

Set up the SSH client to port forward a local
port (ie 127.0.0.1 9696) to your mud (ie your.mud.com 9696)

Then you connect zMud to the forwarded local
port (ie 127.0.0.1 9696) and all is well.

Google for free shell and SSH.
These forums will have similar things searchable.

TonDiening
Beta Upgrading to 6.26
Soda

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 12:09 pm   

Hi, thanks for the reply, sounds helpful.. but could you elaborate a bit on that? I never touched SSH before, and just started learning it today :~

Here is what I tried (and failed):
1. Downloaded PuTTY.
2. ran Plink using the following command:
>plink -ssh -L 9696:schoolserver.
edu.au:22 schoolserver.edu.au
3. Login, enter password
4. use zMud to connect to localhost:9696

Then I see:
"SSH-1.5-1.2.31" appear on the screen

After pressing enter, it shows me this message then terminates connection:
"Protocol mismatch."

So.. what did I do wrong? Could you help to give an examples of the command to use (and hopefully use PuTTY as an example..)?

Many thanks.

p.s. I don't have access to other SSH servers other than my school servers, and don't know any free (either telnet or ssh) ones either.
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:00 pm   

Last I checked PuTTY doesn't support
port forwarding. If you get the SSH-1.5-1.2.31
then it means you are just being linked over.

What you need to do is figuratively tunnel
through the SSH link so you can use normal
telnet locally, have it tunnel/pushed through
the SSH connection and spit out normal telnet
on the far side.

Castaway wrote something about that a long time
ago..

TonDiening
Beta Upgrading to 6.26
checkboy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 7:09 am   

I've followed this thread with interest. I've also tried doing it with Putty (which quite clearly has tunneling facilities in the new version). OK, zmud connects through the localhost and i'm redirected to my mud and can connect. So does this mean it works? What i need to know is which IP the mud sees now? Do they see my usual home IP or do they see the IP from my SSH server which has been designated as the tunnel via Putty?

Sorry for the layman's language!

Cheers,

#:)
seamer
Magician

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:56 pm   

when you bounce out of a shell account, the mud/whatever sees the shell's server, not yours :)

i shouldnt say this, but it does open the door to cheating. if you can connect regularlay via telnet you can also login via the shell, and the mud will see 2 different ip's, one for character1 and another for character2 - your ip and the shells.

Why oh WHY did I have pass door on...
Soda

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 7:50 am   

Hi, Checkboy, could you let me know the exact lines/setups that you used to make it work? I still can't quite figure out how :(

I could telnet directly to the mud I want to play, but the problem is my sister wants to play at the same time too. The mud didn't allow multiple logins from 'private' ip addresses, but they made the exception for us for about two years, but decided to reform the policy to not allow any exceptions last year. So since then one of us connect directly to the mud, and the other bounces off the school server.

Problem now is that the school will ban telnet access to its servers starting next Monday, so I would really like to work out how this tunneling works before then..
checkboy

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:19 pm   

thanks seamer, all

soda, i'm not terribly techie but its easy with the new version of putty which allows you to set tunnels at the connection/ssh/tunnels panel ...

at the session panel, set hostname and port to your school server and remember to select the SSH option if necessary

then go to the tunnels panel, there i selected "local ports accept ..." and then entered under "source port" just my chosen local port number such as 9696.

under "destination", type in your mudname.org:portnumber then click "add" ... the selection should appear at the "forwarded ports" window ... also select "local" under that then you're set to go

click "open" and the panel connecting to your school server will open, enter your accountname and password etc and you may wish to then click on "event log" to check for sure that the forwarding is set.

once that is done, in zmud, reset the "host" and "port" to "localhost" and "your port number" (eg. 9696 as above) and then "connect" ... you should then see the prompts for your mud ...

does this sound correct to everyone?

i have the same problem with my flatmate who needs to connect to the same mud and we share a cable connection ... so i'd really appreciate confirmation that this will solve the problem ... would hate to get banned

good luck soda!

#:)
Soda

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2002 3:25 pm   

WOW!, this works really well, totally transparent too, even easier than using the telnet port. (where I had to do manually login the school server and wait for the school login prompt everytime I get disconnected.)

Many thanks to Checkboy for the detailed instructions :)

as for confirmation to whether this gets you a different IP:
The mud I play shows message like - "Someone connecting from ( 123.123.123.123 ) has just taken over control of your character." - when a character that is online get relogged in from somewhere else. What I do is simply open another zMud window and login my character again to see this message to check my IP(as seen by the mud). The IP displayed by this SSH-through-school method is different to my own IP (if I connect directly), and tracert the address shows it's from the school network. So yep, this will your flatmate a different IP :)

Good luck!
Zene
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:56 pm   

Hi, i'm trying to get this to work for me as well at work..:) .. there is a firewall.and it seems all i can do is surf the internet, listen to windows media player, and use MSN messenger...but i don't believe the telnet protocal is working and the only ports open are 80 and 8080? I've tried a few remote pc control programs to try and play it from my home computer hehe..but nope..those aren't going through...
So would i be able to do this with my home computer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: