Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
lvlorph
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 9:59 pm   

The Automapper -- How the?

I'm slowly growing accustomed to using zmud's triggers, aliases, etc...but now I'm confronted by a new challenge: the automapper. It seems like it would make my mudding experience much better by eliminating the need to shuffle directions and wander around in search of a certain room. However, I've made several cursory attempts at using it, and I can't say that I've had much success. I play Age of Chaos, and I've tried following the directions in the help file, but it doesn't seem to be responding well. I just upgraded to the newest beta version of ZMUD, and I'd appreciate it if someone would basically give me a simple run-through of how to get the mapper up and running. Thanks.
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:26 pm   

The automapper wizard should be able to map
this quite easily. What kind of problems
are you running into?

http://www.mudconnector.com/
Age of Chaos
Code Base: [Circlemud] Chaos Code, originally Circle 2.2

The Royal Courtyard
This large, open field is used for holding public audience with the
Royal Family when they make their weekly trip into town, to allow their
citizens a chance to show support and devotion to the Throne and Crown.
The outer edge of the courtyard is ringed in tall, thin, ribbon wrapped
poles, and the center is taken up completely by the massive oaken
stage upon which sit the five massive silver thrones, empty until the True
King and his family return.
[ n e s w u ]

TonDiening
Uses 6.16
lvlorph
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 11:43 pm   

Well, it's not so much that I've run into problems per se. I configured the mapper, and I titled the zone 'New Manetheren,' and I proceeded to walk around a bit. Do I have to manually create/title a new zone each time I enter a new zone in the mud, and won't this take entirely too long since I would also have to visit each room in the zone in order to map out the zone?
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:04 am   

quote:

Do I have to manually create/title a new zone each time I enter a new zone in the mud,

Your choice how you want to organize
everthing. Some leave it all in 1 humongous
map and others split it into pieces. Depends
what makes most sense to you.

quote:

and won't this take entirely too long since I would also have to visit each room in the zone in order to map out the zone?

That is why it is called automapper.
You don't have to write it all down on paper
as you visit each room to map out the zone.

Or did I miss your intent?

TonDiening
Uses 6.16
lvlorph
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:50 am   

Yea, I think I've got it. I'm not sure how much use it'll be, but I think I've got it functioning properly.
iljhar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:24 am   

I use my mapper all the time, honestly don't know how I mudded without it. I have a pretty good memory, but there are times when it's just easier to go to a section of my map, double-click on a room and off I go, no need to worry about dts or whatnot, just sit back and wait until I get to the destination room. Indispensable tool for me, I highly recommend everyone using it.

As a side note, Zugg is working on a new mapper. It'll be a separate plug-in, but by the way he described it, it looks to be another awesome product. I can't wait!

Iljhar
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 8:33 am   

You could of course also write a script whch would automatically walk every direction in every room until it maps them all. But I can't say it would be very healthy for your character, if you have auto attacking mobs and traps that fall closed behind you..

So I guess you'll have to do it yourself..

Lady C.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 6:14 am   

quote:

You could of course also write a script whch would automatically walk every direction in every room until it maps them all. But I can't say it would be very healthy for your character, if you have auto attacking mobs and traps that fall closed behind you..

So I guess you'll have to do it yourself..

Lady C.

Hmm, not like it'd help for new areas, but you could design the path to travel the minimum number of rooms and do a LOOK scan into all the extraneous rooms (assuming your MUD's LOOK command allows you to see adjacent room descriptions). Perhaps you could use "seeing eye" types of spells or whatever to map without actually going there (I assume the mapper can't tell the difference between you physically going to a room vs. a construct/pet of yours going).

Obviously there will be areas you'd need to map by physical exploration or to which your construct/pet can't get to, but you needn't actually travel to each room in the whole mud.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
doomfyre
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 7:13 am   

Just wanted to add, that you will need to make some triggers eventually to prevent the mapper from making rooms when you walk into a wall or a closed door, etc.

For instance, lets say you try to go north, and walk into a wall. My mud says "Alas, you cannot go that way." Well, i have a trigger:

#trigger {Alas, you cannot go that way} {#nomap; #nodir} Without this trigger, i would end up having a room created to the north, even though there isnt one.

It just dawned on me that you said you're using 6.25. I dont know if this applies at all to you, since im using 6.16, but rather than delete this, ill leave it in case someone else can benifit.
lvlorph
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 9:47 am   

Well then. Thanks for all the input, :P
I went ahead and tossed in that trigger that was mentioned, and I now have an appreciation of the mapper's value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: